Travel Camera... Need Advice

amitpbyash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Next month, I'm leaving to study abroad for three weeks. I have a Canon Rebel T3i, which I absolutely love. I don't want to bring it, however, because of it's weight. I'm going to be walking a lot over some pretty rough terrain. I'm considering the Nikon 1 J1 or the Sony NEX-3. I want the flexibility of interchangeable lenses without the weight of my Canon. Anyone have experience with either of these cameras, or would you suggest something else entirely?

Thanks!

I like the idea of the Nikon 1, but damn, it's also an expensive system!! It Sure is a lot of money to spend for 3 weeks of pictures.
What about a nice point and shoot?

I wouldnt go with either, why not get a good P&S ?

I have the Canon G15 which is relativly small and is an awsome camera.
It has a great lens F1.8-F2.8 and its a very good low light for this type of camera, I use it up to 3200ISO with no problems.
It gives you full manual control capability with 2 wheels (something you dont even have on your T3i) and you can shoot JPEG or RAW on it.

For 3 weeks if I didnt want to Schlep a lot of weight thats the camera I would take.

Hi amitpbyash - since you're already invested in Canon lenses, instead of buying into a whole new system, why not get a mirrorless Canon EOS-M for $381 like this one from BigValue via eBay:

$81RnSzZloBL._SL1500_.jpg

plus an EF to EOS-M adapter for about $100 (make sure to get one with autofocus).

That way, you can carry a smaller and lighter camera, get the same quality images as you'd get from your T3i - and maybe save a little money by not having to buy new lenses.

Hope that's helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back