Travel Lens for 7D

marcinsow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have recently purchased Canon 7D to replace my old 400D. Currently I use my Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 with it (I used it many years with 400D). This lens meets my expectations as I used it during many travels, in cities, mountains etc. Range and IQ on 400D was really fine for me. Now I wonder whether I should upgrade to something else what I could use as the one and only lens during trips, but producing even better IQ. Below I shortlisted lenses which I am interested in and short description of my style of shooting (no other lenses are in my area of interest).

EF-S lenses:
1. Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 OS HSM - new version of lens which I own - is it really worth changing for OS, HSM and slightly better light?
2. Canon 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM - additional reach is interesting, but is it better optically than Sigma and can produce better colours and sharpness?

FF lenses:
1. Canon 24-105 F4 IS USM - I'm sure it is better optically than above ones, but I'm a bit afraid I will miss wide end. Anyway, is it so much better optically than 15-85? Assuming I use photos mainly for web publishing, printing and publishing in travel magazines with maximum size 30x20cm, will I be able to notice those differences in performance between those two lenses? They are probably possible to spot only on 100% crop.
2. Canon 17-40 F4 USM - here I am even more worried, as I loose a lot of long reach. No IS is also not optimistic.

My style of shooting:
All kind of travel photos, so landscapes, culture, nature, people, cities. I analyzed about 300 of my best photos and statistics are as follows:
- about 30% of photos taken with focal length less than 24mm
- over 50% taken with more than 50mm
- fast apertures (up to 4.5) used only in about 5% of shots
- horizontal pictures with focal lenght lower than 24mm in only about 10% of cases
- about 80% of all wide angle shots could have been done with longer focal length without missing main topic
- about 30% of all taken with 70mm, so probably longer reach could have been used many times if owned.

Looking forward to any help! I'm completely lost so far!

Thanks!
Marcin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back