Traveling by plane with camera gear

I've packed stuff in a large Pelican case, but check a handgun so the bag is inspected at the counter, sealed closed, and had carried to and from the plane to a secure area. Even something as simple as a starters pistol that only fires blanks needs the inspection and can trigger the security precautions that you can use to your advantage.

Otherwise I carry everything on board in a Think Tank Airport Addicted roll on bag.

I've packed stuff in a large Pelican case, but check a handgun so the bag is inspected at the counter, sealed closed, and had carried to and from the plane to a secure area. Even something as simple as a starters pistol that only fires blanks needs the inspection and can trigger the security precautions that you can use to your advantage.

Otherwise I carry everything on board in a Think Tank Airport Addicted roll on bag.

This no longer applies. They have newer procedures for checking firearms. A few years ago, this worked, but no longer. Firearms also don't get hand carried to the plane. They go the same way as all other baggage. Unless the TSA has their luggage screening located out in the lobby (which is getting rarer each year at airports) all baggage screening, whether with firearms or not, are done in the same place. If that place is behind closed doors, then that's where the screening will happen. If they need to get in the bag, they'll have you paged for your key or combo. Depending on the airport, they may or may not let you watch the screening take place.

Best advice is to carry everything with you. A photo jacket is incredibly valuable.

i was once in the denver airport for hours before my flight left, so i talked to one of the store workers. at one point a friend of his who worked in the baggage screening area, checking bags, came over and showed us the things he had taken from bags in the past hour. i recognized one of them as a high end flash light, that costs over $200.

he said he only took things that he didn't think people would notice, but im pretty sure they noticed that was gone.

If that's true, then it's quite outrageous..

Ive travelled a lot with my photo gear. I always carry it on, never had any issues with my carbon fiber tripod. I usually dont take it in my photo backpack, but pack stuff securely in my standard bags. Ive gotten some dirty looks taking photos around airports but nothing beyond that. (and the standard full body violation from refusing to go through the body scanners)

As stated previously in this thread, I have my camera equipment with me inflight as I make sure I can carry it on the actual plane with me. Some of the camera equipment can be very expensive and I am not taking the risk of it getting thrown about. All my other stuff goes into my main luggage. Of course it depends how much camera equipment you actually need, but for the majority it should fit as your hand luggage.

As many have mentioned already I too carry it on with me. The risk is too great to have it any other way. Assuming we're not full-fledged professionals (which assistants help with the additional 'units' of carry ons that can be taken in); most of us probably have a kit capable of fitting into a lowepro type backpack (flipside 400aw for example). That can be taken into the plane without any problems and should be enough for most people. If not - im not sure if this applies everywhere - you can normally take a laptop back with you and its not counted as a carry on (at least on the airlines ive been on and where ive travelled). Thus a Flipside 400aw and say a classified 250 messenger style bag can get through (assuming you do place a laptop in there as an 'excuse' (sorry that i use lowepros as my examples as its the only items im familiar with).

i was once in the denver airport for hours before my flight left, so i talked to one of the store workers. at one point a friend of his who worked in the baggage screening area, checking bags, came over and showed us the things he had taken from bags in the past hour. i recognized one of them as a high end flash light, that costs over $200.

he said he only took things that he didn't think people would notice, but im pretty sure they noticed that was gone.

You should have reported his ass!

Take with with a Think Tank bag or ship with a Pelican Case!

What do you guys do about x-ray machines and all that?

you just let them xray it. there is no detrimental effects and there's no way you'll be allowed to pass without it being xrayed so just put it on there. if your phone can survive it as can your laptop so can your camera and its memory cards.

You should have reported his ass!

i was about 12 at the time, and im only 17 now, so it wasn't that long ago. i didn't know what to do at the time

Most reactions

Back