Traveling gear

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We've got several trips planned this year and I would appreciate some gear advice. My first question is transporting tripods. Anyone travel over seas with a standard size bulky tripod? I've got a manfrotto 055XPROB and it's slightly too big for my suit case and I need a tripod. So should I buy a more compact tripod or place my tripod in it's on baggage and pay the additional baggage fee?

My gear for weight reference.

D800
Nikon 28-70mm 2.8
Nikon 70-200mm 2.8
Nikon TC 1.7

Thanks

If it can just tie onto your carryon, I'd do that, that way you don't pay for it, just build some extra muscle carrying it.

Thanks for posting this. I am flying to NYC in March and was wondering about my tripod also.
good thought BrightByNature!
Nancy

You could always ship it to yourself by UPS.

Tripod manufacturers offer padded cases (or bags) for their pods. But I've just wrapped bungee cords around the legs of my tripod and checked it as baggage.

Tripod manufacturers offer padded cases (or bags) for their pods. But I've just wrapped bungee cords around the legs of my tripod and checked it as baggage.

Cool, so I wouldn't be the only photographer checking their tripod. I'm really leaning towards checking it since my hands will be full with the family and making sure I brought enough stuff in the carry on bag to occupy our son for 8 hrs.

Most reactions

Back