Traveling job

Not the Sun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. I recently got asked to do a job photographing 7 or 8 locations for a company that I have done some work for in NYC. This work would be done for their office in Georgia. I need to give them a price quote for 2 days of shooting. They are paying for the flight and hotel and someone is driving me around, so I don't need to add that into the cost. I have all the equipment that I need. So could anyone suggest some good rates. I am new at this and when they sit there and tell me "if you charge too much we won't do it," then I worry since I need the work. But I don't need to sell myself short. Any suggestions?

I know I need to factor in my shooting time, post production time, cost to get to and from the airport, meals.

Any thoughts would be helpful. The photos will be used for promotion, advertising and website. Thanks.

Is this architectural advertising?

Selling yourself short can have lasting consequences. If you go too low on the price then the company may think they can pay you that rate indefinitely. I'd set a price that you'd be comfortable with for the next few shoots with them, until you develop a good rapport.

Anyway. So, contract work. A day rate or similar would be common, though I think slightly out of place if you're new to this. In lieu of a day-rate (what you charge just to be there and shoot), I might ask them to comp a few meals. This way you're not charging an arm and a leg for your "precious time" but you're making it clear that you won't pay to do their shoot. Then, come up with a rough but realistic estimate of the amount of time it will take you to sort and process the photos. Then set your hourly wage. I can't tell you what this will be. It's based on your experience, expertise, and their budget as well. Something between, I don't know, $20 and $100 an hour. Tally it up and see what that number looks like. Then regroup if you have to.

I would not ask them to comp food it might seem a bit tacky. I would go for $50 x 8 hours x 2 days

I dunno. You may be right. The day rate is such an arbitrary figure, though. Why not just tally up your "living expenses" while there are and call it your day rate. Charge your real money on post.

Most reactions

Back