Traveling photographer

LMB Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a local photographer and I have had several from my area to ask me to either travel to do there wedding, or come to there vacation place and take there family photo. I am wondering how to price this. On the family vacation photo if I could get several from my area to be in the same location at a time that would be great but have no clue on where to start my pricing. And as far as a wedding say like in Panama City Beach Florida and I live in 5 hours away, how would I price that. I would have to have a place, plus gas. But do I also make them pay for packages? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Lesa

Thanks Bitter, but what about packages, do they also buy packages as well? or just get disk for paying for my travel cost. This is where I am confused at what to do.

Charge what you usually charge for a wedding, they just have to provide travel arrangements and lodging or you could price your own travel and add that into their cost.

They buy a package deal too.
Most photographers I have seen, set a limit as to how far they will travel, which is already included in package prices.

If someone loves your work soooo much, that they want you to photograph their event (wedding) on mars, they pay your way there.

And they will pay. If you are going far - I have a 4 day travel time. I need to be there 2 days before and one day after the wedding, as travel is always risky business (delayed flights, weather hijackings etc). You can offer something extra or a reduced price, but go for the full deal first - they may take it. And remember about the other costs too - luggage fees, transportation etc. They can all add up. If you just charge for your flight hotel and food, you will lose money very very fast.

It's no different from traveling for any other kind of work. However, I think it will be a good idea to negotiate a price range for your travel expense, like the kind of hotel rates they are comfortable with to pay for, or average cost per meal. Otherwise, they may think that you are going to out yourself in a presidential suite and have feasts.

Another thing to think about is the time you are spending to do this. Say you have to travel for 3 days for that one gig, and happens that you could have worked on something else on one of those days if you didn't travel. That's potential income lost due to having to be away. You may have to adjust your charges then. If you know that you are not losing any business being away, then I would charge appropriately too.

Most reactions

Back