Traveling: What to take / Buy?

Corbin Lane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I'm going to be traveling to New Zealand, Australia and Mexico for about 6months time and I'm wondering what I should be buying to bring. Keep in mind, I'm getting a lot of this stuff because I haven't had it before. I'm going to bring my Canon 7D with 50mm 1.4 and 10-22 and a LOT of memory cards and batteries. I'm going to buy a Manfrotto 055x Prob with 804RC2 Head and then buy a 501 HDV Video Head and probably a 32GB memory card.

Is there anything else you all would take camera wise? I'm overwhelmed with booking tickets and finding a place to stay to worry about this aspect.

New Zealand

I'm off to new zealand to in March for 2 months. How are you getting around we're renting a caravan!

Laptop and Hard drive I think are also essentials!

A cable release with Shutter lock?Would help long exposures :)

If you buy the 70-200mm, then you might want to think about a 1.4X and/or a 2.0X converter to give you that extra reach, assuming you might want or need it.

WesternGuy

a bag for all of that stuff...

i didn't see a flash...

Yep, I'll bring along both of my flashes. I do have a lowepro but I'll probably buy a bigger one.

A cable release with Shutter lock?Would help long exposures :)
I didn't even think about that, It's now on the list!

International voltage converter.
Thank you so much! Now on the list too.

New Zealand

I'm off to new zealand to in March for 2 months. How are you getting around we're renting a caravan!

Laptop and Hard drive I think are also essentials!
I'll be there for Febuary / March. Where are you going to be going? We might have to meet up if our schedules allow for it.

If you buy the 70-200mm, then you might want to think about a 1.4X and/or a 2.0X converter to give you that extra reach, assuming you might want or need it.

WesternGuy

I might have to get one, they really aren't too expensive. Should I spring for the IS or would the non IS be alright? I haven't had a tele-zoom for a LONG time!

You could also go the route of the Sigma 50-500mm F/4-6.3 EX DG HSM APO or Sigma 150-500mm F/5-6.3 HSM APO DG. Theyre quite slow, but you would end up there with the 70-200/4 with a TC anyway.

Mark

You could also go the route of the Sigma 50-500mm F/4-6.3 EX DG HSM APO or Sigma 150-500mm F/5-6.3 HSM APO DG. Theyre quite slow, but you would end up there with the 70-200/4 with a TC anyway.

Mark

Honestly, the only time that I'd shoot with that is if I'm hiking or something. Otherwise, everything will be on the streets and such. I'll think about it and I'll have to find a place for it but it's an awesome idea.

I think the 50-500mm would be good for streets. All you would need is the 10-22 (if you would really have to have UWA photos) and the BIGMA and youd be good. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Mark

In NZ, many of the best photo opportunities are landscapes. I would see the wider focal lengths getting used the most here for a tourist, longer focal lengths would be good if you want photos of our unique wildlife, if you are planning to visit any of the national parks where most of the remaining populations are.

The same will likely hold true for Australia as well, depending on where you plan to visit.

I'll be there for Febuary / March. Where are you going to be going? We might have to meet up if our schedules allow for it.

I arrive 15th of March, Im in Aukland for a couple of days then I'm off to South Island pretty much for the rest of the time

In NZ, many of the best photo opportunities are landscapes. I would see the wider focal lengths getting used the most here for a tourist, longer focal lengths would be good if you want photos of our unique wildlife, if you are planning to visit any of the national parks where most of the remaining populations are.

The same will likely hold true for Australia as well, depending on where you plan to visit.

I'll see if I can swing it. Thanks for the help everyone!

Most reactions

Back