Travelling and Gear!

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm heading around the world next year, December the 16th I fly off to Beijing, from there to Fiji, from there Sydney, to Darwin to Nairobi. That is about a 2 month trip, I'm then living in Kenya for 6 months, whilst working at a eco-lodge.

During this time I'm no doubt gonna get knocked about, I'm sending my lens straight to Kenya via a friend who's gonna pickem up when he flies out.

I'm worried, though I'm taking a-lot of equipment and no doubt something will go wrong, and so therefore sods law something will get broke.

I know day to day, I won't be spending a-lot of time around water. But I am going sailing in Fiji for 2 weeks, and so I'm looking at getting a dry bag and then when I'm in Kenya and Australia no doubt I'll be spending some time in boats and so I'm looking at a camera bag (not just a camera case), this is for all my equipment that I can keep my stuff safe in.

Would you trust something like this with your equipment? If you put your standard bag inside it? Dry Bags I've already got a couple for my sailing.

I was just wondering what you all thought? I'm sending out a Pelican case I'm borrowing with all my stuff in it. Including a F4, D5000 and probably a D300 with grip. But will also be sending at 200 - 400 F4 Nikkor (Rented, Borrowed or bought) plus 55 - 200, 18 - 55 and probably a prime wide angle of some sort, maybe a fish eye if I can find one. The area of Kenya I'm staying in is very safe comparably, I'll be staying with people I know very well, and so day to day security is not a problem. Airport travel might be however.

Thoughts? Anyone travelled with your camera? Got some advice for me? Would be much appreciated.

I find that the emphasis in any travel shoot, professional or enthusiast is to get the shot and avoid getting mugged, having your pockets picked or camera equipment stolen while taking pictures.

With this in mind, I generally take a DSLR, film camera, superzoom and pocket camera. If I am not likely to stray too far from a car, than I will likely use the DSLR. Walking around Belfast at night, I will use the pocket camera, as well as in museums where they do not like photography. I would likely use the superzoom around wet areas and water. So, essentially, I always have a backup and use the camera appropriate to any possible risk.

skieur

If you're worried about water and the camera gear maybe a lowpro waterproof bag might be in order?
Lowepro - Waterproof

Also - when in kenya - rent a nice big lens :) ;)

I have a suggestion: don't go to Sydney; head to Melbourne instead.

It's better, trust me.

I have a suggestion: don't go to Sydney; head to Melbourne instead.

It's better, trust me.

I've got family there! So its cheap as chips...

200 - 400 with Tc. 1.4 and crop factor big enough?

I've got family there! So its cheap as chips...
I was only jesting; a long time friendly 'rivalry', Melbourne and Sydney have. ;)

Most reactions

Back