Treasure in a Wreckage, Detroit

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Juan01-R2-25.jpg

Couple of days ago I happened to drive pass this place accidently. The next day, I went back there with my camera. It's simply an opportunity I cannot miss.

Juan01-R1-3.jpg

Nothing can be more iconic than this site. "Motor City Industrial Park"... it's definitely a movie-worthy site. I was simply fancinated by the texture of the broken glass windows, rusted metal walls and rotten wood. The size of this complex is unbelievable, and these set of photos definitely cannot do the justice. It goes on and on. Hpwever, this isn't the only complex of such size. On the way back we drove across a fly-over towards the freeway, we could see a lot more abandoned complex just like this, just as big.

Juan01-R1-7.jpg

Juan01-R2-8.jpg

Juan01-R2-4.jpg

A friend who was with me asked how long has this been abandoned. I pointed at the top of the building," Look at that tree on the roof. That's how long it's been like this."

The cops came and said that someone reported about people stealing scrap materials from the complex. It's obviously not us and the cops were nice. We did see a pick up truck leaving the complex earlier on though. One of the cops jokingly asked if we are going to buy this place. He's the second person who have asked this question. The first was a local passer-by.

This series of photographs are so far my favourite, although it was a pity that I am not ready enough to step into the buildings. Bums, drug addicts, needles, rotten floors... But I am sure there's much more inside that want to be seen.

While there, many questions were raised. How old was this? How long ago was this in operation? What was being made here? By the sheer size, how many thousands of workers used to work here? Where have they gone to? Will they ever come back?

Juan01-R1-29.jpg

These questions represent the history of Detroit over the past century. I hope it's not what the city's future will become.

Juan01-R2-20.jpg

Juan01-R2-18.jpg

Juan01-R1-15.jpg

Juan01-R2-14.jpg

Juan01-R1-20.jpg

There are a lot more photos here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v73/molested_cow/Motor City Industrial Park/?start=0

Pls feel free to check them out.
BTW I bumped the saturation and levels on most of the photographs, just for your information.

You're so lucky to have found that place. I want one!
I'm not sure if you are anti-HDR but I see a lot of potential in there.
#1 is a strong image...great series.

#1 is really great. The rest is not my cup of tea, I especially don't like the blown out skies. But again, #1...WOW!
:thumbup::thumbup:

pascal

What's anti-HDR? If that refers to digital, then it's more because I still can't afford to switch over yet have similar range of lens I have now for my traditional SLR.

I tend to see these as graphics as opposed to photographs, so I want to bring out the objects or the messages that I want to show through these images Therefore the bumped saturation and levels.

Yes the first img was something I spotted. There were thrash(broken objects) scattered all over this portion of the floor and that's a toy African American baby.... perfect for the Detroit story.

WHOA simply EXCELLENT pictures. these are RIGHT up my alley.
#1 is my favorite and i also like most of the rest.
i would have taken a different approach to the perspective of 4 and 6, but excellent overall
i tried sneaking into a scrapyard with my camera and got kicked right out...

I love these, this is like a dream for some of us... nice work.

only thing you could of done is played with a Grad ND and a cookin system.

Still, cool shots.

#2 is pretty telling--it would be even better if that one car wasn't on the street. Then it would have the look of total abandonment.

i would love to see some photographs inside this place, when you get the courage (be safe though). looks like a very interesting place for exploring. nice shots.

What a great series! I read your comments at trekearth.com, found the history very interesting and would definitly like to see more from this site.

Excellent pictures, I've always been fascinated by abandoned and decaying buildings, there's pictures like this on Flickr, I think it's called 'Urban Exploration' or 'Urbex' for short.

I'd love to do a bit of that, but as Tempra said, you don't get much like that in the UK, it soon gets torn down and repaced with an identikit 'legoland' housing estate!

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like that baby doll has bled out? The darker spot under it almost looks like blood.

Very interesting series. IS the sky really blown out or was it cloudy? Except in one picture I think the details and contrast in the rest make up for the sky (not that I know anything).

What you do in the city is what I want to do in the rural areas...take pics of things that are out of place and out of time. I don't believe in ghosts but it's almost like the empty buildings are crying out for a time when they were alive and useful.

I would have liked to see a little more space between pictures and number before them, as I was distracted by the other pictures but all in all, nice series.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back