Tri flash bracket

kfirg

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi guys

i want to shoot with tri flash bracket (off camera) in outdoors or just a bare flash ?

Should I use in softening up as umbrella or softbox ?

If I don't use this will be significant ?

thanks.

Last edited:
All depends on situation......and what look your going for.

3 flashes bare will probably be pretty harsh just like any bare flash. If you want soft like, throw a modifier in front.

thanks

for 3 flashes What would you choose? (for outdoors)

shoot through umrella :
> Sorry. We are not allowed to posy photos we don't own rights to. We can post links to those photos though.

or

softbox umbrella ?

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated above, there is no pat answer to your question as it depends on the situation.
A bare light will produce very hard shadows, but that maybe what you are going for. Some shots warrant hard shadows.
Any modifier like an umbrella will soften the light and control it more (less light scatter), however, a soft box will generally be more directional with less spill than an umbrella, but are generally more expensive.
A shoot through umbrella produces light that wraps around you subject better, but because of that, you loose a lot of light and is less controlled. If you want to keep light off of your background or back drop, a shoot thru is NOT the way to go.

The best way to figure out what you want is to try each option. You will gain more by doing than by asking which is better for you and your situation.

Last edited:
thanks for your answer!

firstable i think i will try the softbox umbrella..

As mentioned, we can't really tell you what to do...as it's completely up to what you want to accomplish.

If you think about it, umbrellas are really designed to be most effective with a single light in the middle, or at least an even spread of light. It will still work with three lights, but it strikes me as odd.

Since you mentioned being outdoors, you should be aware that an umbrella on a light stand is basically a parachute....and even a light breeze will blow the whole thing around. And if you've got three flashes on that thing...that's a lot of gear to be worried about.
You could stake it down, but that will limit you to one light position...unless you want to unstake and restake it fairly often.

The best option will be to have someone hold it for you. But if you will need someone to hold the stand anyway, then I'd suggest a better option than an umbrella. Get a diffusion panel...something like this Impact 5-in-1 Collapsible Oval Reflector - 42x72" CRK-4272

Have your assistant(s) hold it up between the light and the subject. This gives you a much more flexible system and can give you better quality light...but you do need an assistant to help you while using it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back