Tri-pods

A major factor is "how much do you want to spend?" Carbon Fiber tripods are very lightweight but costly, Others may seem heavy to you but not to someone else. If you are using it outdoors you should get one without supports between the legs, that way you can swing out each leg independent of the others for uneven terrain and it may also go lower to the ground when needed.You also need to consider that some do not come with a head, you must purchase it separately while others come with either a Pan or Ball head. Make sure that it has a Quick Release Plate. You secure the plate to the bottom of your camera and then you just have to snap it onto the tripod head instead of screwing the camera on each time.
Also make sure that it can support the weight of your camera and lens. I would stay away from the lightweight, inexpensive "travel" tripods

What about monopods? Anyone out there use them? Are they actually useful? I'm thinking I might need one, or maybe just a tripod, so i can take sharp shots with my 70-300 mm lens. Any advice?

If it comes down to a tripod or a monopod for you - go with the tripod (IMO). It's the only way to completely isolate the camera for long exposures/slow shutter speeds.

A good combo is a Manfrotto (Bogen) 055ProB and a 488 RC2 head. May seem expensive but it's worth it. No point buying a cheap tripod that doesn't do the job.

There are many decent tripods but this is a great one. May seem heavy if out walking a lot. If so look at CF tripods.

What gear do you plan on using with it?

Cheers
Jim

I have a giotto's gb3150 and manfrotto 486 rc2. A little on the heavy side but I've walked in San Francisco all day with it and have had no problem with the weight. It's proven itself shooting on windy nights doing long exposure shots of the Golden Gate Bridge.

I agree with EOS_JD, don't get a cheap one that's no good for the job. I've bought two which I've had to replace so I pretty much just wasted money there.

I do take alot of outdoor shots so one without supports would probably be best. I also will prob be using for weddings in the future. Sould I use the same style or get a different one for them also. Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

What about monopods? Anyone out there use them? Are they actually useful? I'm thinking I might need one, or maybe just a tripod, so i can take sharp shots with my 70-300 mm lens. Any advice?

I use a monopod quite often, especially for macro shots. Basically, a monopod is lighter and easier to carry around and set up than a tripod. I keep mine attached to my camera pretty much all the time in case I need a little extra support, but not enough to set up a tripod.

As far as choosing between them, you need a tripod. The monopod is more of a shortcut, while there are times when you just have to have a tripod.

Most reactions

Back