Tried Reversing my lens today, see results

NYY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had to do it handheld, so focusing was very difficult, but some turned out really well. I'll add more photos soon. These were done with a 300d and a reversed kit lens. I might try my sigma 70-300mm lens later.
macrodollarfinal0ft.jpg

my giant pen
macropentip6ag.jpg

They will be better. Also, zooms are terrible for this kind of thing. Nose around eBay and see of you can pick up a cheap prime lens. It shouldn't cost much becasue you just need to make sure the filter is the correct size. :)

So, having fun then, NYY? :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

yeah i noticed the same
im still trying to find out how this actually works

posted at the same time :p
yeah its pretty fun, but very akward

ferny said:
They will be better. Also, zooms are terrible for this kind of thing. Nose around eBay and see of you can pick up a cheap prime lens. It shouldn't cost much becasue you just need to make sure the filter is the correct size. :)

So, having fun then, NYY? :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

What is a 'prime lens'?

NYY----so you're just holding the lens? I'm gonna have to try this!:mrgreen:

Thanks,
~DC

NYY, are you mounting the kit lens directly to the camera? Or are you mounting it to another lens? Like a zoom lens attached to camera, and reversed lens on the end?

all i did was hold the lens in one hand to (in reverse) to the body of the camera. then i moved in on my subject until it came into focus

You're stuck with the 10mm. It takes a while to get used to but after you shoot a few, you learn tricks to get around it.

I'm confused. You take the lens of and physically hold it in front of the camera? That can't work, can it? Tell me I've mis-read what you're all talking about.

Nope...you've read correctly. The lens regularly shrinks what you see to fit it in the frame. (excuse my lack of technical detail. ;)) When you shoot through it backwards, you get a microscopic effect with an extremely shallow Depth of Focus and you have to get very close to your subject. When I do these, I usually use an old 50mm lens and hold it backwards to a good zoom lens.

NYY said:
all i did was hold the lens in one hand to (in reverse) to the body of the camera. then i moved in on my subject until it came into focus
They look great - I especially like the one of the bill. :thumbup:

Excellent shot of the $20. Unfortunately, if I keep trying all these techniques I may never see Mr. Jackson in my wallet, again.:D

Toby

Most reactions

Back