Tried Reversing my lens today, see results

Wow, very cool shots. This is one of those trhings i have always wanted to do but just never got around to. Im going to give a go right now. Thanks for the inspiration.

hobbes28 said:
From all that I know, yes. That's the way I've always done it. You can get around that shallow DOF by shooting more directly at the subject so your focal plane isn't as obvious. e.g. instead of shooting a quarter at a 45 degree angle, shoot from an 85 degree angle.

... ah.... that is mildly irritating... I've shot about 4 rolls with various lenses reversed, always using different apertures... looks like I'll be getting a lot of blank negs :grumpy:. Confusingly, with the lens reversed the camera's meter was giving pretty much the same readings at all apertures as it was with the lens on normally, and the same as my own lightmeter, so I just assumed it was possible to shoot with the aperture closed down. Bah... oh well, thanks for correcting me there :thumbup:.

Just digressing slightly, does anyone else find themselves relying on older, manual cameras for alternative techniques? Digital's obviously another matter entirely, but with 35mm most modern cameras seem to make it as difficult as possible to experiment. Take IR film for example (a lot of modern cameras won't), and lens reversing - whenever I remove my Minolta 50mm lens from the camera, it fully closes the aperture, and since there's no manual aperture ring I can't open it up again :grumpy:. More automation can be great, but I wish manufacturers would trust people enough to let us do our own thing too..

On a less grumpy note, happy new year everyone! :D

Hehe when I were a lad, cameras were nasty-looking lumps of plastic. Not that long ago :D. Now I'm collecting ones from when me dad were a lad. Cameras needed to be solid back then y'see, so you could take 'em down t'pit (hums Hovis ad theme) :mrgreen: .

The D70 will shoot without a lens, 100%. I do it all the time for astrophotography (attached to my telescope) or darkframes. It's important to set the little switch on the front to manual focus instead of AF, otherwise it won't let you trip the shutter.

Im new to this forum and ive already learned something, i dont know how much i will use it in my work but its damn nifty.... here is a plastic airsoft pellet sitting in a quarter

ok it wont let me post attachments but its still cool

Orangetree, get yourself a free account at imageshack.us or photobucket.com, upload your pics to their servers and hotlink them to here!

Would love to see your pellet macro shot! :thumbup:

Hi guys , and gals

just my 2cents worth.

I have recently stripped a broken tamron lens and kept it's lens mount. I then superglued it onto a cokin adaptor ring.

This now allows me to reverse mount a 50mm minolta manual lens on my EOS 10D. I can control DOF by changing the aperture on the minolta lens. Have to shoot in metered manual mode though.

this pic was taken with rig as described.

PM me if you want to see pics of the rig.

Hanno

jacoeye.jpg

Now that is impressive! Reminds me why I need a DSLR (have been attempting reversed-lens stuff with new digital P&S but since I can't reverse-mount old primes onto the fixed lens this requires tripods, vices and much steadier hands than I have). Would be interested to see more of what you can do with that setup. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back