Trip to Banff and Yoho National Park (This summer) Part 1 of 2

bla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1. Takakkaw Falls in Yoho. (According to Wikipedia) Highest point is 384 m (1260 feet), making it the second-highest officially measured waterfall in western Canada.
bridge2.jpg

meadowandclouds.jpg

3. A shallow river bed.
wavysand.jpg

Any comments are highly welcome, especially any constructive criticism! Thanks

very nice, my fave is number 2

have to go with lostprophet here ... number 2!

in number one the colours are quite washed out .. the bridge is nice, but the mountain is quite ordinary in the way it is shown.

the last one could be very nice, but it suffers from the light (or lack of) .. in particular the upper half. Just wrong time of the day there I'd guess. Or maybe a fill flash could help (best off centre)

I quite agree on Photo 2 to be the best of the three here with Andy and Alex - and I believe that with a little tweaking of the levels in Photoshop the first can be "rescued" ... it need not look this "washed out" and lacking in contrasts, I have an inkling there is more in the frame than meets the eye right now. Is your photo OTE which means "okay to edit" or would you rather "play" with it a bit more yourself and show us your result? Or are you happy with the photo just the way it is?

Agreed guys, thanks so much for your input! LaFoto: I may tweek it a bit with an image program to see what it gives, but it's definitely okay to edit also.

Since I think that Photo 1 is worth the try and you said it is okay to edit, here is my attempt:

bla_bridge2_myedit.jpg

What do you say?
Do you like it?

LaFoto said:
Since I think that Photo 1 is worth the try and you said it is okay to edit, here is my attempt:

What do you say?
Do you like it?

That looks so much better LaFoto! Would you mind pointing me in the right direction and telling me how you did it?

Thanks.

Let me try to remember: I opened it in Photoshop, then went to Image -> Adjust -> Levels and saw that there were no shadows at all, the histogramme was totally flat on the left. So I pushed the arrow in from the left for the entire image until I felt it was better.

Then I used the lasso-tool (in the icons on the right to be recognised as a lasso) and always have my feather (upper line of icons and communication boxes where it says "feather") set to 150px for this lasso tool (meaning that the lines thrown by this lasso will widely fade into the image, there will be no hard lines), throwing it around the sky and waterfall. I selectively tried to adjust those areas and ignored the system's telling me there were too few pixels chosen for any adjustment: it works, all the same! I pushed all the midtones (middle arrow under the histogramm) all the way to the right.

Then I felt the image was a bit "cold" colourwise. So I opened up the Levels again and chose the red and the blue channel and pushed the red midtones from 100 to 105 and the blue midtones from 100 to 95.

Yes, I think that is all I did.

LaFoto said:
Let me try to remember: I opened it in Photoshop, then went to Image -> Adjust -> Levels and saw that there were no shadows at all, the histogramme was totally flat on the left. So I pushed the arrow in from the left for the entire image until I felt it was better.

Then I used the lasso-tool (in the icons on the right to be recognised as a lasso) and always have my feather (upper line of icons and communication boxes where it says "feather") set to 150px for this lasso tool (meaning that the lines thrown by this lasso will widely fade into the image, there will be no hard lines), throwing it around the sky and waterfall. I selectively tried to adjust those areas and ignored the system's telling me there were too few pixels chosen for any adjustment: it works, all the same! I pushed all the midtones (middle arrow under the histogramm) all the way to the right.

Then I felt the image was a bit "cold" colourwise. So I opened up the Levels again and chose the red and the blue channel and pushed the red midtones from 100 to 105 and the blue midtones from 100 to 95.

Yes, I think that is all I did.

Really appreciate it, LaFoto. It'll help me a lot with my foray into photo editing software.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back