Trip to Mexico

BigknockHawk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so my wife and I have planned a vacation to Cancun, Mexico in November. I see this as an excellent opportunity to get some really great photos. You know, the beach, the ocean, the wildlife, the ruins, etc. I am really excited.

We are going to be staying at an all inclusive resort which is pretty large. My wife has advised methat she is not convinced tha I should take my camera and lenses because she has been reading reviews online that some people have had things taken from their rooms. She also said that there is not a safe in the room large enough to lock up my equipment.

I wanted to ask, have any of you all had experiences with traveling to Cancun? If so, were you concerned about your equipment? How did you ensure its safety?

Your insight is appreciated!

Why not just keep them with you at all times? You'll get more pictures that way.

Just make sure that your gear is covered by insurance (many house/home insurance policies cover personal belongings whether inside or outside the home). Or get a specific policy just for your trip.

What's the point of having a nice camera and gear if you are just going to leave it at home?

A more pressing issue may be security & convenience when not in your room. For example, if you head to the beach/pool and want to go for a swim, what do you do with the camera? In a resort, you can probably just go back to your room and leave it there, but if you are out on an excursion, you'll want to have the camera with you whenever possible. Also, if you go on an excursion, how much gear do you really want to pack with you? Sometimes you might be OK dragging a big camera bag around because you want to take some photos, but sometimes you'll only want a camera that can fit into your pocket.

When I go on vacation, it's always a toss up between how much gear I want to take (and thus carry) vs the convenience of less/smaller gear.

...some people have had things taken from their rooms.

I wonder if the review was accurate. I'd be very surprised if it was due to the hotel staff. More than likely it was some casual aquaintance that went to the room for a party, then came back later.

Just a hunch.

You may want to look into the pacsafe line of products. I am hoping to take my camera equipment to Guatemala and will be taking my Pacsafe mesh bag. It is basically a steel mesh that can be put around your camera bag or any other luggage and locked closed and to an object. It won't stop a determined thief with bolt cutters but is very effective against thieves of opportunity. The mesh bag folds very compactly when not in use. I use it for my equipment and when I take trips on my motorcycle and need to protect soft luggage from theft.

What resort are you staying in?

Some of the sea side resort towns in Mexico have become war zones between the government and the drug lords.

Be sure and check with the American consulate on the current state of affairs in Cancun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back