Trip to the Philippines

Chrispyphotos

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Attended Photoworld Asia 2016 this year in Manila, Philippines. I accompanied 11 other photographers here in Guam to the conference. It was my first conference and was pretty awesome. Most of these are from the hands-on workshop portion, though I didn't really get too many shots because there were just too many people.

These were shot with either the Sony A7ii or A6000 and Sony 90mm 2.8 Macro or the Zeiss 55mm 1.8. You can check the individual photos if you are curious.

There are a few regular portraits and some are a little bit more edited than I would usually do.

7. (This is from a shoot that one of the guys I went with set up with a local model in Makati)

Nice set; looks like a great opportunity. Some of the skin work looks a little extreme for my taste, but lovely images.

These are gorgeous, personally I'm not so big fan of the silky smooth skin edit as @tirediron but I can understand the practical application of the effect.

Thanks for the replies. They actually had amazing make-up & skin... so most of the retouching was just a little dodging and burning, removing stray hairs etc.

These are completely stunning. 1 and 3 are my favorites, but they're all gorgeous.

I've been looking for a longer portrait lens on my a6000, how does the 90mm macro do with it? Or do you usually use it with the A7ii?

These are completely stunning. 1 and 3 are my favorites, but they're all gorgeous.

I've been looking for a longer portrait lens on my a6000, how does the 90mm macro do with it? Or do you usually use it with the A7ii?

I absolutely LOVE this lens on the a6000. You get the full 20 or whatever mp and an effective 135mm @ 2.8 with it. I do sometimes use it on the a7ii when I just want the 90mm but the extreme sharpness of the 90. 90% of the time though it is on the a6000 and the 55mm is on the a7ii.

Your results with it are incredible. I really like the idea of being able to do macro or portraits. I've never done macro before, but maybe I would if I had a macro lens, right?

But at that price I could also get the Zeiss Batis 85....which also looks amazing, is a little smaller and lighter, and has slightly faster autofocus. So maybe I could also use it with candids of the kids, which is what 90% of my pictures consist of. Plus, you know, it's a Zeiss...I know it's totally lame to buy lenses just as a status symbol, but one of the biggest perks of having a Sony camera is having autofocusing Zeiss lenses, right?!?

Ugh. I go back and forth everyday. Then I just say screw it all, I'll get the cheap Rokinon and just learn manual focus.

Anyway, sorry to get off track. Your pictures are phenomenal! Thank you so much for your perspective on the lenses!

Your results with it are incredible. I really like the idea of being able to do macro or portraits. I've never done macro before, but maybe I would if I had a macro lens, right?

But at that price I could also get the Zeiss Batis 85....which also looks amazing, is a little smaller and lighter, and has slightly faster autofocus. So maybe I could also use it with candids of the kids, which is what 90% of my pictures consist of. Plus, you know, it's a Zeiss...I know it's totally lame to buy lenses just as a status symbol, but one of the biggest perks of having a Sony camera is having autofocusing Zeiss lenses, right?!?

Ugh. I go back and forth everyday. Then I just say screw it all, I'll get the cheap Rokinon and just learn manual focus.

Anyway, sorry to get off track. Your pictures are phenomenal! Thank you so much for your perspective on the lenses!

I use the 90mm on many portraits. You could get the 85... if it was readily available ;)

Nothing wrong with manual focus lenses! I use my Jupiter 9, 85mm f2 lens from 1965 all the time. I usually never take it off unless I am doing a session.

The last one is my absolute favorite of the group. Excellent composition with a lot of impact. Would do a little very minor cropping (jutting branch on right and metal railing far left). On a side note I use the a6000 and only lens I have is the Sony-Zeiss 24 1.8. Quite the landscape lens but it is so sharp that combined with the 24mp I can just crop down to get great macro shots.

Haha, by the time I could save up enough for the Batis, it'll probably be available used everywhere!

And I was pretty set on the Rokinon until I talked to the guy at the camera store and he told me, "If you put a $200 lens on a $600 camera, you get $200 pictures." Now I can't get that saying out of my head!

And I had no idea the 24 was that sharp....that's another one I've been looking at, because the used prices are so reasonable ( around $650.) I just have trouble justifying it because I almost never shoot landscape. It would just be another sort of everyday lens, just wider than the 35.

I really need a job to support my hobby...

I use the 90mm on many portraits. You could get the 85... if it was readily available ;)

Nothing wrong with manual focus lenses! I use my Jupiter 9, 85mm f2 lens from 1965 all the time. I usually never take it off unless I am doing a session.

I have a 1970's 135mm f2.8 it is sharp, super smooth, and built with great quality! It is my favorite lens, Plus only cost $35. ;)

#1 and #4 are my favorites, but the whole set is really really nice, great job!:clap:

I have a 1970's 135mm f2.8 it is sharp, super smooth, and built with great quality! It is my favorite lens, Plus only cost $35. ;)

$35?!? Oh, man, what are you guys doing to me?? I was trying to look into legacy lenses at one point, but the problem is I have no way of knowing which are sharp and which aren't...there weren't any review blogs back then, after all! So I got overwhelmed and gave up. :(

$35?!? Oh, man, what are you guys doing to me?? I was trying to look into legacy lenses at one point, but the problem is I have no way of knowing which are sharp and which aren't...there weren't any review blogs back then, after all! So I got overwhelmed and gave up. :(

Focus peaking makes everything so easy to. I recently came across this website that breaks down the different types of legacy lenses.. It is just specific to soviet lenses... so the Jupiter lenses and Helios which I feel are the two more popular makes of the legacy lenses that a lot of people like. Here it is: Soviet and Russian Cameras - Intro

Most reactions

New Topics

Back