Triple threat

I've learned that i've got to sacrifice some things in order to get the lens that i want. There is no one perfect lens that covers one type off style.

Just don't rush too quickly to get a lense.
Buying them retail is alot of $$$ especially if you find out that you don't like it and try to sell it.

I buy all my lenses used, and I know that I can resell them for the same amount (hopefully) or with minimal loss.

My 55-200 was a quick decision because I wanted reach (200mm) and it was cheap. But the image is not very good once you zoom in.

I've learned that i've got to sacrifice some things in order to get the lens that i want. There is no one perfect lens that covers one type off style.

Just don't rush too quickly to get a lense.
Buying them retail is alot of $$$ especially if you find out that you don't like it and try to sell it.

I buy all my lenses used, and I know that I can resell them for the same amount (hopefully) or with minimal loss.

My 55-200 was a quick decision because I wanted reach (200mm) and it was cheap. But the image is not very good once you zoom in.

Buying the lenses used would save me a negligible amount. But that is probably different where you live.

They are only a couple hundred USD difference here from New to Used.

But I opted for AF-D lenses but those require a focus motor which are only in the d7000 and above but saves me a ton $$ USD as those lens cost alot less used even though alot are still manufactured new.

I loose the option of VR, but if I keep my shutter speed higher the 1/250 it doesn't matter anyways (or something like 250 or 1/125 .. I can't recall) thus the use of ISO.

They are only a couple hundred USD difference here from New to Used.

But I opted for AF-D lenses but those require a focus motor which are only in the d7000 and above but saves me a ton $$ USD as those lens cost alot less used even though alot are still manufactured new.

I loose the option of VR, but if I keep my shutter speed higher the 1/250 it doesn't matter anyways (or something like 250 or 1/125 .. I can't recall) thus the use of ISO.

VR is not a replacement for shutter speed, its a nice feature, but i personally don't really care one way or the other if its in my lens. I am currently in the process for looking into photography classes. I don't know how to reduce noise in lightroom.

photography classes :thumbup:

There's also photography groups and everything out there.

FYI, I can't afford the 14-70 so I was looking at the 35-70 AF-D / 2.8 .. 'ye old wedding lens
but that's just the GAS in me.

Last edited:

FYI, I can't afford the 14-70 so I was looking at the 35-70 AF-D / 2.8 .. 'ye old wedding lens

Someone once told me that if i have good glass, then my camera will take very good pictures. But i think that only people who do this for a living can afford to excuse this as a business expense. I have no intention to ever make this anything more than a hobby, because i haven't enjoyed myself with something like photography for a long time. At the end of the day, what else is there but to do the things that make you happy?

Someone once told me that if i have good glass, then my camera will take very good pictures. But i think that only people who do this for a living can afford to excuse this as a business expense. I have no intention to ever make this anything more than a hobby, because i haven't enjoyed myself with something like photography for a long time. At the end of the day, what else is there but to do the things that make you happy?

NO, NO, and also NO. Good glass will NOT just suddenly "cause" your camera to take better pictures. Good glass is a TOOL that can be used to create stunning pictures...BY a photographer who has a good, firm grasp on HOW to take a good picture.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but In MY opinion, you do NOT need to buying three or four new lenses right now. Buy ONE, if you absolutely must, put the rest of the money into a Camera account, and promise not to touch for the next six months while you concentrate on learning HOW to use what you already have to take consistently decent pictures.

Honestly? And again, I really hope this isn't take the wrong way, because I mean it only to be helpful--you are trying to dive off the Olympic high-dive boards when you haven't even learned to swim. In several of your threads, what's struck me is that you are trying to do photography that is at a pretty advanced level when you don't even understand how ISO, shutter speed and aperture work together.

If you were my (brother, son, father--insert one, depending on your age), I'd tell you to just SLOW DOWN. You already have everything you need to LEARN photography, for the next month or two at least. Start back at the beginning and learn the basics...if you will do THAT, all this other stuff about which lens to buy and how to do nighttime long exposures and such will make a LOT more sense to you.

My advice: Back away from the lens shops, and head over to the bookstore--get something like Understanding Exposure, and start reading and experimenting with the BASICS. Then build from there.

If you will start from the beginning, the basics, and really work at it, in six months time you will be GREATLY improved--WITH your existing equipment. At that point, if you want to go buy sixteen different lenses and ND filters and whatever else, then go for it. But right now, that many choices in lenses are only going to completely confuse you.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said. But what i was referring to is that a good piece of glass will make that persons particular pictures look better. Now how far i go with it depends on my skill level. But i bet you that they haven't told you about Water Wings? :Joker: In any case, i am looking into taking classes learning photography.

I agree with everything you said. But what i was referring to is that a good piece of glass will make that persons particular pictures look better. Now how far i go with it depends on my skill level. But i bet you that they haven't told you about Water Wings? :Joker: In any case, i am looking into taking classes learning photography.

I said I had no more advice to give, so I'm coming back with criticism.

First thing is first: photographers that spend more than a couple hundred dollars on a lens already know what they want. They might deliberate over two different brands or makes or models of the exact same lens, but generally they know precisely what they want to look at and compare. You, on the other hand, do not know anything about what you want, why you want what you want, or what anything means. This isn't a matter of being veteraned, you're just being willfully ignorant to all the advice everyone is giving you. You're essentially questioning and arguing every point.

If a 35mm lens on dx isn't for you for walkarounds in the city, then photography isn't for you at all. 50mm on full frame, or 35mm on dx, is the widely acknowledged go-to focal length. You're already shunning away lenses that are absolutely useful to anyone's photography.

Furthermore, someone just told you lenses don't make pictures better automatically. You followed by stating that they at least enhance an already good photo. Based on what you want to do, never in a million years will your photos become better with a more expensive lens, assuming the aperture and focal lengths are the same between any comparisons. If you pixel peep you'll see that one lens might be sharper and provide more room for larger prints the size of a wall, but that's neither here nor there. Composure, exposure, creativity, experience... Far more important. In the time to you've had this thread up you could have built up a lot of skill shooting with a prime lens, rather than arguing about things that you don't understand.

Finally, you wrote vr off as something that isn't useful. Yet you insist on handheld photography at night... And you even admit you've never turned vr off on your current lens. So you really haven't experienced that... I think you're just reiterating what you heard someone else say about how vr cannot make up for aperture... That's true. But aperture also cannot make up for lack of vr.

as already mentioned, good glass will give you the capability to take great photos. But you have to not only understand the limits and workings of your camera, but you also have to know the exposure triangle (and everything else) but also learn composition, lighting, et all

As I mentioned several times ... don't rush into spending your money. It can be fun but also trying to improve your technique can be maddening and fun.
I've sat many nights with my 50mm/1.8 just fiddling with the exposure triangle. then I added flash and change the settings on the flash, etc etc etc etc .. it's never ending. Now I'm learning more about lighting techniques. But by no means is my exposure triangle and everything about my camera usage perfect .. that takes time and experience. Of course, I've in the past dabbled in film and the early digital years. I actually had one of these many years ago KODAK DIGITAL SCIENCE DC50 Zoom Camera - Owner's Manual

I said I had no more advice to give, so I'm coming back with criticism.

First thing is first: photographers that spend more than a couple hundred dollars on a lens already know what they want. They might deliberate over two different brands or makes or models of the exact same lens, but generally they know precisely what they want to look at and compare. You, on the other hand, do not know anything about what you want, why you want what you want, or what anything means. This isn't a matter of being veteraned, you're just being willfully ignorant to all the advice everyone is giving you. You're essentially questioning and arguing every point.

If a 35mm lens on dx isn't for you for walkarounds in the city, then photography isn't for you at all. 50mm on full frame, or 35mm on dx, is the widely acknowledged go-to focal length. You're already shunning away lenses that are absolutely useful to anyone's photography.

Furthermore, someone just told you lenses don't make pictures better automatically. You followed by stating that they at least enhance an already good photo. Based on what you want to do, never in a million years will your photos become better with a more expensive lens, assuming the aperture and focal lengths are the same between any comparisons. If you pixel peep you'll see that one lens might be sharper and provide more room for larger prints the size of a wall, but that's neither here nor there. Composure, exposure, creativity, experience... Far more important. In the time to you've had this thread up you could have built up a lot of skill shooting with a prime lens, rather than arguing about things that you don't understand.

Finally, you wrote vr off as something that isn't useful. Yet you insist on handheld photography at night... And you even admit you've never turned vr off on your current lens. So you really haven't experienced that... I think you're just reiterating what you heard someone else say about how vr cannot make up for aperture... That's true. But aperture also cannot make up for lack of vr.

I don't know where this is coming from but ok. I don't agree with your first point. While i may not be as knowledgeable as you are, i do know what i want to my limited understanding.

The second point you are making absolutes and painting me into a caricature, thats not really fair. I wouldn't do that to you. If i've insulted your favorite lens then please forgive me, it was never my intention to do so. If you like using a 35mm or a 50mm, then have at it, thats great for you.

Third point? I think that you just misunderstood what i was saying. Because you've just rephrased what i said.

Fourth point. Ok, so i know a little bit about VR now. You aren't even going to give me that? At least give me a little slack, i'm trying my best here.

We just need to cool down and get some hot coco. And you are right about me not looking into third parties, but for nikkor this is as good as its gonna get.

as already mentioned, good glass will give you the capability to take great photos. But you have to not only understand the limits and workings of your camera, but you also have to know the exposure triangle (and everything else) but also learn composition, lighting, et all

As I mentioned several times ... don't rush into spending your money. It can be fun but also trying to improve your technique can be maddening and fun.
I've sat many nights with my 50mm/1.8 just fiddling with the exposure triangle. then I added flash and change the settings on the flash, etc etc etc etc .. it's never ending. Now I'm learning more about lighting techniques. But by no means is my exposure triangle and everything about my camera usage perfect .. that takes time and experience. Of course, I've in the past dabbled in film and the early digital years. I actually had one of these many years ago KODAK DIGITAL SCIENCE DC50 Zoom Camera - Owner's Manual
But learning about it is fun too. I've learned a lot just by talking to you and applying it to my photography. Exposure meter helps me out a great deal for things that don't move, but if i see poof my hamster do something funny, i miss it because i don't know the right exposure and have to constantly check. Even then i get it wrong. But its that much more rewarding when i get that shot. But its also that much more dissapoint when i don't have the right focus!

$ssdfsdf.jpg

Most reactions

Back