Tripod Advice

NjStacker22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently using a Sunpak 600PG (Sunpak PlatinumPlus 6000PG 61" Tripod 620-600-CPG - Best Buy) which has been okay in the past but I've had some issues with it (had to replace due to a broken leg + other broken pieces) and it's definitely time to upgrade. I would like to keep the price between $100-150 + $200 max. I will be picking up my new camera (Canon 70D) tomorrow and really want something that I could use to take advantage of the video features on this camera. SO, I'm looking for a "multi-purpose" unit. Something that I can maneuver quickly on shoots (shooting real-estate) and still have the ability to pan for videos. If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I do feel a bit spoiled that I have been using a "pistol grip" setup which makes adjusting extremely quick + simple. Anything similar with panning ability is preferred. Any recommendations??

Last edited:
If you're looking for legs plus a head with a max budget of $200 you're going to have a hard time finding something of quality. I'd recommend looking for something used. Most decent entry level tripods tend to start around $170 or so for the legs, then add at least another $80 for a cheap 3-way head (what you'd want if you're also getting video). If you could open your budget up to about $300 the market would open up. Giottos, Manfrotto, Sirui, Feisol, Vanguard, etc. As it is you'd likely be better served hunting for used gear in that price range.

If you're looking for legs plus a head with a max budget of $200 you're going to have a hard time finding something of quality. I'd recommend looking for something used. Most decent entry level tripods tend to start around $170 or so for the legs, then add at least another $80 for a cheap 3-way head (what you'd want if you're also getting video). If you could open your budget up to about $300 the market would open up. Giottos, Manfrotto, Sirui, Feisol, Vanguard, etc. As it is you'd likely be better served hunting for used gear in that price range.

Thanks for the tip. Like I said, I've been previously using a really cheap tripod (which has been ok so far) but definitely time for an upgrade. If I had to move into the $300 price range I guess I could. Any specific recommendations on something that would serve me well shooting photo + video while being able to shoot vertically, pan, etc.?

Thanks a lot. I would love to stick a ballhead setup as well but I definitely need something for smooth panning.

Does anyone have any experience with this tripod? I'm having a hard time finding reviews since I think it's a fairly new release...

[h=1]Sunpak UltraPRO 423 Carbon Fiber Tripod with Pistol Grip Ball Head[/h]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1036950-REG/sunpak_620_423_upg_ultra_pro_423_carbon.html

I'm a fan of my vanguard alta pro 263 AT with SBH100 head. Only cost about $150, and serves me pretty well (I don't use a tripod excessively).

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankly, I'd avoid off-brands. Depending on your height, the basic versions of the Manfrotto 190 and 055 hit the price/quality sweet spot. Manfrotto gear is tough, modular and fixable with easily available replacement bits. If you need panning, look at their entry-level 3-D heads.

I'm a Manfrotto 055 user, mainly for landscapes. Along with the Manfrotto ball head, it's a great unit. However, one thing you should take into consideration, particularly if you plan to do any length of trekking with a tripod is the weight of the tripod. I have discovered recently, the 055 XPRO B + ball head is approaching 3KG (6.6lb) and this becomes very noticeable on a backpack when doing significant walks in the bush (This may be due to my pack putting the tripod on one side, unbalancing the pack).

One of the alternatives for me is to get a carbon fibre tripod, which should halve the weight, but is unfortunately double the price.

Happy spending :) I love it when I can buy new camera stuff too!

Most reactions

Back