Tripod advise

Nimitz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to purchase a high quality tripod but I'm not interested in spending $400 for a Bogen or Gitzo. I've been looking at the Dynatran 800 series tripods on-line but there is no local camera shop for me to go and handle one.
Anyone have any experience with these tripods?
Can anyone comment on the pros & cons of pan & tilt heads vs ball heads?
Any other comparable tripods I should be looking at?

thanks

:thumbup: :thumbup:

The Manfrotto/Bogen 190 models are excellent.

I am curious about the "heritage" of the Amvona gear though, since the grip-head on this model is very, very very similar to a Manfrotto grip. In fact except for the badge it looks totally identical. I wonder why that would be... A very precise copy? One making equipment for the other? Both being made by a third party? Interesting...

I recently purchased a Bogen 3021 PRO Tripod with 322RC2 Grip Ballhead as JIP included in his roundup. It really is a nice tripod grip combination. I love the quick adjustment of the pistol grip and it works well both for portrait and landscape. My only issue w/ it so far is the difficult in maintaining a level horizontal axis if I am trying to take 3 or 5 pics to stich together later in a panorama fashion. I don't usually do that very often and if it were a landscape it would be do-able with patience. I recently tried it at a hot air balloon launch and was going to try and get a panorama of the entire field of balloons (about 13) just before they took off but wasn't quick enough to pull it off successfully. Other than that it's been a wonderful and extremely sturdy combination.

I recently purchased a Bogen 3021 PRO Tripod with 322RC2 Grip Ballhead as JIP included in his roundup. It really is a nice tripod grip combination. I love the quick adjustment of the pistol grip and it works well both for portrait and landscape. My only issue w/ it so far is the difficult in maintaining a level horizontal axis if I am trying to take 3 or 5 pics to stich together later in a panorama fashion. I don't usually do that very often and if it were a landscape it would be do-able with patience. I recently tried it at a hot air balloon launch and was going to try and get a panorama of the entire field of balloons (about 13) just before they took off but wasn't quick enough to pull it off successfully. Other than that it's been a wonderful and extremely sturdy combination.

I have the same combo and put this between the leg and the head. Works great at a great price.
http://www.feisol.com/english/PB-70m.jpg

Found here: http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

Interesting... thanks for the link. Did you buy it direct from them? I don't think they have any distributors, er, anywhere :) and I can't tell if their shipping prices are only for the US or for all countries.

Yeah bought it direct. Took about 5 days from order to arrival. I was surprised. Works great. They have a larger version if you are interested. It is on the order page.

Cool thanks for the link. Might have to check that out. I don't do panos very often and with a static scene like a landscape I think it would be quite do-able it's just when you have to move quick that this head doesn't work out very well.

Most reactions

Back