Tripod Alternatives?

andrew99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ajwalker.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a tripod which is a great tool, but I was wondering if there is anything else easier to carry, or do you have any tips for those times when I don't have the tripod? I've heard rumors of people using bean bags or rice bags to support the camera, has anyone here tried that? Any other tips, such as holding the camera against a wall, etc?

The idea is to have the camera as stead as possible...so the best thing you can do...is take it out of your hands and put it on something solid. A beanbag or something like that can be hand to help position the camera.

Placing the camera against a wall or leaning on something yourself can help.

Proper posture and breathing can also help a lot.

Or better yet, use a shutter speed that is fast enough so that you don't have to worry about blur from camera shake.

I have a tripod which is a great tool, but I was wondering if there is anything else easier to carry, or do you have any tips for those times when I don't have the tripod? I've heard rumors of people using bean bags or rice bags to support the camera, has anyone here tried that? Any other tips, such as holding the camera against a wall, etc?

I have a custom-made bean bag that my wife's grandmother made for me some thirty years ago. It's a really good substitute for a tripod most of the time - I can usually find something somewhat horizontal, perhaps the top of a trash can, to use with it. Of course, there's always the case when I wish that I had my real tripod with me.

You may want to try a gorillapod. Its a pocket sized flexible tripod for about 50$. I don't have one, but I've heard that they are very handy.

You may want to try a gorillapod. Its a pocket sized flexible tripod for about 50$. I don't have one, but I've heard that they are very handy.

I had one and I threw it away. It quivered!

I can't believe no one has mentioned a monopod. It's an alternative, light weight, easy to carry and makes up on third of the tripod. Your legs make up the other two thirds. A bean bag isn't something I wish to carry around with me.

I have a gorillapod and even though might have to set it up on a higher surface I find it to be handy. Sometimes it does quiver a little if I don't setup the camera right but I like it. I bought it for my Canon S3 and ordered the slr model. I just upgraded to rebel xti and it does a good job with the lens that came with it.

And I forgot that another tip is to also hold your breath while holding the camera close to your body.

I have found that it is helps to treat my camera like I do my rifle. I squeeze the shutter button during a controlled exhale.

I can't believe no one has mentioned a monopod. It's an alternative, light weight, easy to carry and makes up on third of the tripod. Your legs make up the other two thirds. A bean bag isn't something I wish to carry around with me.

Why not? It's smaller, lighter and much more easily stored than a monopod.

Does anyone use a shoulder strap with their tripod for carrying? My tripod has a carry bag that has a shoulder strap, but it would be a pain to put it in and out of the bag all the time. I was going to pick up an extra shoulder strap to attach to the tripod so it was much easier to carry if I was planning on using it a lot.

I just strap my tripod to the bottom of my camera bag so it is almost always with me. I second the monopod though. I bought one a short while ago and it has been good for surfing photos and I'm sure it will be good for sports when my brother starts playing lacross again. It is small and lighter than a tripod, and you can grab it and move quickly with it.

I just use a cheap Quantaray QT-100 travel tripod. It collapses down insanely short and it'll fit right into my Tamrac messenger bag. Ok it pokes out the top a little, but it still fits right in. Very easy to carry. It'll support my D80 w/o the grip and a lightweight consumer mid-zoom. I wouldn't use it with a heavier telephoto or pro zoom and/or my grip hooked up. That's asking for trouble. I have a much sturdier tripod that'll handle the heavier stuff but it never gets used because (haha!) it's a pain in the a** to carry.

Most reactions

Back