Tripod - ball head

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I plan to buy a good tripod for my landscape and macro photography. After reading various reviews, I have shortlisted Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod.
Now I need to take decision about the ball head. I have two choices manfrotto 322rc2 and manfrotto 488rc2.
Request help in selection.
Thanks

I have the 488RC2 and absolutely love it. I tried the 498RC2 and like the feel of the older version more. It's very precise and 1,000% secure.

The 322 does not lock as securely and is much bulkier. I would avoid it. Looks like a cool idea, but in reality not that great. Many people might disagree, but it's all about preference.

I have the 190 legs and wish I had the 055. They are taller seem a bit sturdier.

If it will fit your budget, I would look at the Arcatech GP. It's features would fit your needs. You can go to you tube and type in Arcatech GP and there is a great review there.
Good Luck

I have the 055xbpro and really like it. Though I really wish I had the short central column. I also have the 498rc2 I think it is a little rough.

Neither.

The 322 is not designed for what you are wanting. It is an excellent head for portrait/studio type work. It has no pan feature which makes panoramas tough unless you add a panning base. The 322 does hold tightly, most people that get it don't seem to understand how to adjust one. I use one in my studio setup with an Arca-swill QR adaption.

The 488rc2 is in my opinion an overpriced, under featured head from Manfrotto. If anything you might want to look at the 498rc2. It repairs the basic design flaw of the 488 by providing you with a separate friction control knob. The 488 when loosened would flop, not a good thing with a camera attached. The 498 has a separate friction control knob that allows you to loosen the ball lock knob and still move the camera around without it flopping over.

One thing I would suggest is plan now for the future. The rc2 system is fine for bodies with short, light weight glass. If you ever plan on moving up to bigger longer lenses you might want to look at a different QR system. The Arca-swiss system is the best, most versatile and most stable. Of course at a cost. You could however get a decent setup buy going with something like the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655333-REG/Induro_479_000_BHD0_Ballhead.html A bit more money but a much better featured head with the same specs as the Manfrotto head.

Or if you want to get real serious about it the RRS BH-55 is top of the line. Love mine. BH-55 Pro: Full-sized ballhead with Pro - BH-55-Pro - Kit Configuration Page

Ballheads and macro don't go together well. I've no idea about the top range ones (with a few £/$100 on the price tag), but most will show a noticeable head drop in macro work when you lock the ball down and then release your hands (regular shooting this never shows up - just in macro where tiny motions really do affect your frame).

For budget look at a regular 3way head - its far more suited to landscape and macro work - however the head I recommend you look at is the manfrotto Junior Geared head (don't let the junior part fool you its a very good tripod head). This head gives you slow, but very accurate control in each of the 3 axes of motion. For landscape its good for macro its fantastic because you get no drooping and exact control over the frame. The head is useless for faster action work since you can't release the pressure on all the axes at once (one at time yes).

About its only downside is that it is quite heavy so you will notice it as a pretty hefty weight, but for macro its the head of choice for those that do macro with a tripod.

I have no issues with my BH-55 and macro. Not the slightest bit of drop or creap and easy to adjust with a good deal of accuracy. One of the other things that helps is using the Arca-swiss system. My macro lens had a lens collar and I use it. I have an extra long foot for that lens that allows me to balance the whole setup over the center point of the ball head. Event the cheapest ball head won't droop or creep if the load is balanced.

The biggest addition for macro that I use and suggest is a good set of focusing rails. I managed to walk into a brand new set of Novaflex rails for $35.00 at a photography shop. The owner had them on the shelve for quite a time and wanted to get rid of them. They make split hair focusing a breeze.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back