Tripod for a big camera 5d mark 3

I have 2 tripods, but I kinda love my Manfrotto monopod. It's got a cap on one end that unscrews to release 3 legs. It's compact, heavy enough to be sturdy but easy to carry around.
Have the same/ similar manfrotto monopod. Very handy.

Currently using Manfrotto BeFree Compact Travel Aluminum Alloy Tripod and I must admit it's one of the best tripod for Small/Medium cameras. I would suggest Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod for 5DM3 as per your requirements.

so if i wanted to shoot photo and video, ill need two separate tripod for that?

that'll mean 1-2k for 2 tripod :O

i want to invest for long term instead of going through each cheap one, as i do see myself using it a lot.

so if i wanted to shoot photo and video, ill need two separate tripod for that?

that'll mean 1-2k for 2 tripod :O

i want to invest for long term instead of going through each cheap one, as i do see myself using it a lot.

Depends how you shoot. You *can* use a video head for photos (but you’ll need an L bracket for your camera to get portrait orientation.

You can also use a photo head for video as long as you don’t need to do panning shots or have smooth camera movement while on a tripod.

I just picked up a really right stuff TVC 34-L and BH-55 ball head along with an L bracket for my D810. $1500 in tripod, but worth every penny so far. It’s head and shoulders above anything I’ve ever used.

I do want my video to have smooth movements. However, can i just do that handheld without the tripod?

sorry for my lack of knowledge but how do one find the right tripod if budget wasnt the issue? like i have a mark 3, i need a sturdy camera to be able to hold it esp with big lenses mounted on it. I do plan to shoot products, portraits, full body shots, street photography, and so on.

what is the ball head? why L bracket? what else do i need to know about tripods?

Thanks!

okay I invested in a
Really Right Stuff TVC-34L Versa Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod (Long)

and
Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head with Full-Size Lever-Release Clamp

however, I need a fluid head for video. what do you recommend. I already spent a lot but video is just as important as still images. Enlighten me!

That’s the exact combination that I have. You will not be disappointed.

Can’t help with the fluid head. I know RRS makes one but it’s stupidly expensive, even compared to the stuff you and I own from them already.

exactly. I was looking at manfrotto but idk how it works when i pan/tilt. I want to get smooth all around video quality and i dont want to have to buy a new one in case I buy a cheap quality

it arrived but what do i need to attach the camera to the ball head? do i need to buy a separate plate? i already spent so much though. such a disappointment..

it arrived but what do i need to attach the camera to the ball head? do i need to buy a separate plate? i already spent so much though. such a disappointment..

Yes, you’ll need either a quick release plate or an L bracket.

Sorry, thought that was implied.

what should i go for? is it cheap?

what should i go for? is it cheap?

An L bracket is considered the best tool if you use a tripod often. The RRS version is around $150. You can get third party ones for $50-70

If you just want a standard QR plate you’d need an Acra-Swiss plate. You can get third party ones on amazon for $20.

Most reactions

Back