Tripod For Nikon D70!

Cheers for that !! I would hate to think i got myself a tripod and then see my Nikon D70 camera fall to the ground ! :cry: so i wanted to check this out before pressing ahead ! ;)

If you knock it over, it will fall to the ground - gravity and all that ;)

If you are worried about stability, it has a hook at the bottom of the centre pole, you can hang a bit of weight on this to increase stability - bag of shopping, small child etc.

tempra said:
If you knock it over, it will fall to the ground - gravity and all that ;)

If you are worried about stability, it has a hook at the bottom of the centre pole, you can hang a bit of weight on this to increase stability - bag of shopping, small child etc.

Hahahaaa! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: Nice one !! :hail:

I use a very 1970's Velbon which doubles as a handy self-defence weapon. I find that the modern lightweight things are flimsy and prone to shaking in the wind. Also, you put anything over 400mm on the front and they keel over - bad.

My beast is just like this chappie here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3325&item=7520122001&rd=1

"Sturdy" is an understatement - it's damn heavy, ultra-reliable and you don't need to faff about with weights. It won't move, even if you fall over drunk into it (I've tested this)

Rob

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I bit the bullet and bought a used Gitzo (Reporter model) on eBay. Built like a tank and quite heavy. Attached a ball-head Gitzo (middle size) and I'm good to go. Nothing short of a tornado would blow that over. Many good names to choose from though such as SLIK, Manfrotto, etc. etc.

yeah, i've never knocked a tripod over but i have had the plate come disconnected while in use. Luckily only damaged the lens. but it still sucked. this is best avoided by being careful

Generally look at the way you will use it. If you are shooting sunrises in the field; spend some money to get a deal that is light and super sturdy. You may be able to get away with a less expensive model with night shots and or still life's at home. Shooting a lot of commercial work requires the flexibility of a model with all the bells and whistles.

A used tripod is not a bad idea. The commercial models are super strong and do not wear out. I would be a little leery of buying a model with out playing with it first. Ease of operation is important. Ease of minor level adjustments is also something to consider. Details like screwing the legs as opposed to a lever lock is important to you. After you buy the tripod I suggest the 23 dollar "sprit level" for your hotshoe. Or a 6 dollar torpedo level. The idea is that since you are taking the time to set up the tripod; why not level the camera? I have found that idea handy for wide shots and commercial work.

Of course keeping one leg pointed at the subject and under the lens is a good idea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back