Tripod for photography

mgblunt

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a recommendation for a good tripod primarily for photography for under $150.00

I need a recommendation for a good tripod primarily for photography for under $150.00

Under $150 is tough to do, honestly. The cheapest ones I usually recommend are right around $200.

Cheap, strong, light. Pick any two.

Most people want light and strong, but that doesn’t come cheap. Strong is necessary, so you’ll be sacrificing on weight. If you buy a cheap tripod and end up liking photography, I can 100% guarantee that you’ll be buying a nicer tripod in the next 2-3 years.

Your best bet is going to be a used tripod on eBay .. maybe a vanguard Alta Pro or something similar. I have one that is now broken, but worked great for 3-4 years of heavy use which is about as much as you can expect for $200.

Look used; tripods can often be picked up for fifty cents on the dollar on Craig's List. Look for names like Manfrotto, Gitzo, Really Right Stuff, and Benro. Choose one which is capable of supporting twice the weight of your heaviest lens/body combination and remember that on better tripods, heads and legs are two separate items.

Look used; tripods can often be picked up for fifty cents on the dollar on Craig's List. Look for names like Manfrotto, Gitzo, Really Right Stuff, and Benro. Choose one which is capable of supporting twice the weight of your heaviest lens/body combination and remember that on better tripods, heads and legs are two separate items.
So what do you think about the
Manfrotto MK290XTA3-BHUS 290 Xtra Ball Head Kit

Decent; probably not skookum enough for say a big 2.8 tele-prime or super-zoom, but for consumer bodies and lenses? That'll do nicely.

Do a search of the forum. I'd reckon there are 150 'what tripod?' threads to comb through. There's another one _today_, and a couple from last month that I know of.

"I need a recommendation for a good tripod primarily for photography for under $150.00"

Bogen 3001 leg set,perhaps? Tripod head in the style you like.

Decent; probably not skookum enough for say a big 2.8 tele-prime or super-zoom, but for consumer bodies and lenses? That'll do nicely.
Thank you for the response I just need a descent tripod for my small studio I'm shooting with a Nikon D7200

My home studio has an old Bogen 3011 that I never take outside anymore. I had originally bought it with a fluid head for video abut 30 years ago - but recently changed to a ball head. You can buy these all day long at under $100 with a head.

The Bogen brand is now under the name Manfrotto. My travel tripod is a much lighter and much more expensive carbon fiber Manfrotto - but the heavy aluminum units are better in the studio.

For studio work, you are not carrying it around, so you don't need a light tripod. In that case, the less expensive aluminum tripods would fit your budget. vs. the expensive and lighter carbon fiber tripods.

Then get it used, and save even more.
I got a great deal off CraigsList. I think my Bogen/Manfrotto was only $50.

For studio work, you are not carrying it around, so you don't need a light tripod. In that case, the less expensive aluminum tripods would fit your budget. vs. the expensive and lighter carbon fiber tripods.

the problem I was facing is that under the $150 price point: everything seems to be a travel tripod.

I got a great deal off CraigsList. I think my Bogen/Manfrotto was only $50.
Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back