tripod for portraits/groups

pony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I shoot mainly people, from itty bitty kids to groups of adults...what max height do I need my tripod to go to?
If I am 5'4" do I get one that high or do I get one higher so that it is not maxed out? Are they more stable if they are not fully extended?
Never used one before, sorry if this is a silly question.

I would get one that extends higher and get yourself a small light step stool. Good if you want to shoot from a higher angle for children or pets or you have a group of tall people then it is a good rule of thumb to shoot at their eye level. Using a tripod for groups can also make the difference between tack sharp pictures and some being a little soft and you don't want that for your groups cause they're the ones who are going to get bigger prints.

get yourself something like a Bogen, nice solid alloy with a good fluid filled head and a claw ball or swivel top that lets you go from landscape to portrait easily. Also I would get one that goes taller then I need it to so it don't get wobbly as you have less material for the barrel to interlock with at full extension. Don't go cheap on a tripod, a single gig with it should pay itself off. Then again I am a noob and don't own a tripod yet!!!! LOL so just a throwing it out there, any pros agree???

Most reactions

Back