Tripod ideal for landscape photography?

P.s.: FYI, the OP has a Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Thats a camera worth ~3,500$. Your 25$ tripod would collapse under it.

Not true. I was using 5D 3 with 70-200 on my $25 dollar tripod that was so lightweight, the wind would blow it away. The only problem was, taking longer exposure nature shots in the mountains was kinda silly when the wind could move the camera and then ruin my shots. Besides that problem, I was pretty happy with what I had.

But I never had a problem that my el cheapo tripod that weighted probably like 1.2 pounds would collapse even though there as over 5kg sittin on top of it.

Now obviously my 190 is so much better than that, and it's almost as lightweight but when the ball head weights more the tripod does, there is something wrong with that...

Baaah!!! So much arrogant money-wasting bull****...!! I'm so angry when people can only think in hundreds of $s...!

I have $25 worth old tripod and it works with everything. You just need to learn how to use it! That's it, period.

A tripod is good enough the moment it has 3 extendable legs and holds your camera for you.

Well now here is the deal I have for you sparky. Well take you're $25 dollar gem and put my 400mm f2.8 with 1D MkIV on it. If it doesn't do the job you say it will you buy the OP the tripod and head of their choice. If it also drops my gear you also replace my $10,000.00 worth of gear as well as buying the OP the setup of their choice. That's it. Period!!!

....... You just need to learn how to use it! That's it, period........

OK, so here's a $25 tripod I bought about 6 years ago. Learn me sumpin', Mr. Twenty-Five Dollar Tripod!!!!

Seriously,,,, what am I doing wrong?
smiley_confused_vraagteken.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Baaah!!! So much arrogant money-wasting bull****...!! I'm so angry when people can only think in hundreds of $s...!

I have $25 worth old tripod and it works with everything. You just need to learn how to use it! That's it, period.

A tripod is good enough the moment it has 3 extendable legs and holds your camera for you.

Well now here is the deal I have for you sparky. Well take you're $25 dollar gem and put my 400mm f2.8 with 1D MkIV on it. If it doesn't do the job you say it will you buy the OP the tripod and head of their choice. If it also drops my gear you also replace my $10,000.00 worth of gear as well as buying the OP the setup of their choice. That's it. Period!!!

I think this is a very good deal indeed.

OK, so here's a $25 tripod I bought about 6 years ago. Learn me sumpin', Mr. Twenty-Five Dollar Tripod!!!!

Although that lens is notoriously long, it it isn't exactly "400mm f/2.8" I reckon it probably weights a quarter of 400mm

You can't be serious. The ignorance of this post hits home especially for me, considering I spent a substantial amount of time shooting off of CRAP tripods. I'm talking cream of the crop crap (15-25 dollar price range).

You just need to learn how to use it! That's it, period.

No, that isn't it. That's incredibly presumptuous to assert that anyone that uses a more expensive tripod than you wasn't adept enough learn how to use a $25 tripod. I knew my tripods inside and out, it did not make them BETTER. The risk of the camera falling on its face was very real. The creep and movement and lack of stability ruined pictures and brackets countless times. The stability was always an issue.

OP:
I shoot off the Manfrotto 055XPROB with Vanguard SBH-250 ballhead. I love both, together they are ROCK SOLID-- it's a stellar combination. The SBH-250 is rated for 44 pounds. Ballheads are perfect for precision, if you will be mainly using the tripod for photography. Getting both will set you back about 270 total.

Take a look at some of the brands that you'll likely see a professional (landscape) photographers use.
Kirk Enterprises : Quality Photographic Equipment for Outdoor & Nature Photography
Markins: Home of Markins Q-Balls >> Home
Really Right Stuff -
Acratech, Inc*::*Ballheads & Tripod Accessories
GIOTTO'S-Professional Photographic Equipment

Of course, not everyone needs a $700 tripod, with a $150 L bracket, and $100 in QR plates, and a $150 leveling base and a $300 ball head, and a $500 Gimbal head etc.
But there are those who use these to make their living and they want and need the best tools available.

I shoot off the Manfrotto 055XPROB with Vanguard SBH-250 ballhead. I love both, together they are ROCK SOLID-- it's a stellar combination. The SBH-250 is rated for 44 pounds. Ballheads are perfect for precision, if you will be mainly using the tripod for photography. Getting both will set you back about 270 total.

Thanks for that ill look into these.

I dont buy anything just by brand name. I test out everything before I make the purchase. I bought a Sunpak pro423 carbon fiber tripod from costco for 99 bucks and love it. It is sturdy, lightweight, extension/lower range are more than I need, ball head grip, and is cost effective. No need to buy a 1k tripod to shoot for fun... unless you are rich, then who cares!

I dont buy anything just by brand name. I test out everything before I make the purchase. I bought a Sunpak pro423 carbon fiber tripod from costco for 99 bucks and love it. It is sturdy, lightweight, extension/lower range are more than I need, ball head grip, and is cost effective. No need to buy a 1k tripod to shoot for fun... unless you are rich, then who cares!

When I was shopping for a tripod, I thought I was rich. Until I saw prices for a complete Gitzo set.
Nah, really it's all about best price for performance. The most expensive stuff will never be the best in that ratio.

Most reactions

Back