Tripod in salt water.. how often to clean?

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a carbon fiber Really Right Stuff tripod. I'm going to Hawaii for 17 days with the primary purpose being photography. I anticipate doing a lot of shooting that will probably involve the tripod being splashed with salt water, and the bottom section of legs being in the salt water.

I haven't ever shot in salt water before. RRS tripods can be completely disassembled and cleaned, and I know you should do this to keep your tripod in good shape. My question is: Is this something I need to do daily on my trip? Or just wipe it down and clean it once a week out there? Or don't even bother cleaning it while in Hawaii and just do it when I get home?

Thanks!

I would probably just hose it off with fresh water each day, and save the big clean-up 'til you get home.

When you get home.

I shoot on, near, or within the vicinity of the beach every summer weekend (for the past 5 years) and usually clean my tripods once a year (at the end of the season) to get the sand out more than prevent any rust/corrosion issues. I have had far more issues with sand than salt. A lot of tripod hardware is high quality aluminum (where corrosion not rust is an issue) or cool anodized stuff. While this is often done for aesthetics the end result is that you don't have to worry about rust and corrosion.

Fresh water washes will help if it gets really drenched, but drying with a towel is perhaps just as important as its the water drying in ambient air as well as the salt that can leads to issues.

Clean with fresh water. Only the metal parts will be affected. Depending on your model that will be the bolts / rivets, and spikes if your feet have them. Give the legs a quick wipe before collapsing them every so often. Keep build up down from the clamping areas.

There is a safe to use oil called Ballistol. That would be a good product to put on the metal parts after a thorough cleaning once home. Don't need it / want it on the carbon fiber (wont hurt it either). Just a little on the metal parts. Sold in several sizes in liquid or spray. It's a very versatile multipurpose oil.

Put it on any metal, wood, most plastics! Including aluminum as it does corrode! Don't use WD-40. It's more a cleaner than preservative oil!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back