Tripod Mounting Ring Question

sfivfxman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I recently acquired a CANON EF 200mm f/2.8 ll USM and started looking at mounting rings. To my surprise, there only seems to be two in existence from Canon for this lens and the only difference is the color and price, roughly $40 difference.

Canon Part #: 2889A002, "Canon Tripod Mount Ring A" WHITE
Canon Part #: 2888A002, "Tripod Mounting Ring A for 200mm f/2.8L II" BLACK

I personally could care less about color, but when looking for information on the cheaper one, it seems that it is extremely hard to find or maybe discontinued. I see tons of the 70-200mm version on ebay (Tripod Mount Ring A (B) for Canon EF 70-200/300mm Lens), but wanted to know if those are even compatible with my lens. I'm new to the ring mount world and didn't have a need for one till now. Thanks for any help.

Or get a generic one off ebay for about 20 bucks shipped.

Don't worry about quality or anything, it's just a tripod ring, the generics are fine. All a tripod ring does is throw a little screw under the lens, anyway, the tripod is still doing the work and if you have a decent tripod then any old tripod ring will do.

Wasn't too worried about brand persay, more about the diameter fitting the my lens. Wasn't sure if they differed in mm's or something. Didn't want to buy it and find out the ring was too small or big and loose fitting.

I was liking the ebay prices much better as well. ;)

I have no idea about the Canon rings, really, (I shoot Olympus) so I couldn't even begin to tell you about the difference between them. But unless the two lenses have the exact same diameter, then you'd have an issue with fit.

Most reactions

Back