Tripod or filters?

Primoz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

In the coming future, I have the chance to upgrade my equipment a bit. I have two wishes and i can't decide. What do you think? Should I upgrade my tripod from the poor Velbon CX540 to a Manfrotto in price range of about 200 Euros (280$) or should I add a cokin Z filter system (with an ND and 2 ND grads for starters) to my Hoya HD polariser?

I was also thinking about a new lens, but I guess I can stick with my Nikkor 18-105 for a while longer.

Thank you for your advice,

Primoz

A fairly large proportion of my "keepers" come from situations where I put my camera on a tripod. Whether it is macro, or landscape, or nature, or portrait, or low light... the ability to compose a scene, check the critical focus, check the DOF, take a test shot or two or three, all make the tripod an essential part of my kit. Another aspect of the tripod that makes a huge difference is the head. I've used the two or three-axis cinema style heads for years, until a very good photographer pointed out the use of the large ball-head mounts (like the Manfrotto B222), and the freedom that this type of head gives in composition and control is (for me at least) astounding. If you are using bracketing to build up a sequence for HDR, or you're doing a sequence to stitch together into a panorama, the tripod is essential for good results. I vote for the tripod first.

Last edited:
The first filter I would consider is the Circular Polaring filter (CP, CPL, CPOL). Next would be a Neutral Density (ND). I like to shoot waterfalls, so I went with an ND8 (3 stop). Lastly a UV filter to help in hazy conditions. The remaining filters on offer would be if you want to have specific look that you can't get otherwise in camera. Don't cheap out though. You don't need the most expensive, but a good quality filter is essential since you are placing another piece of glass in front of your lens. Multi-coated is a feature that I look for.
http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm

I vote for a solid tripod first as well. I like ball heads too. Make sure that you consider the weight of your gear and the potential for heavier gear in the future. Weight capacity of the tripod should be approximately double of your load.
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Is your current tripod doing what you need it to do (hold steady in the situations you use it)?

That's a pretty big difference, filter vs. tripod. I use a tripod all the time, and I rarely use a filter, but maybe you shoot differently than me. I have a $40 tripod. I'm sure a better one would be... well, better. I can do most of what a filter would do in Lightroom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back