Tripod portrait position issue

xyphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am having an issue with my tripod. Not sure what you guys are doing to overcome it. Any suggestion you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Here is the problem. I have a carbon fiber tripod with a ball head. Every time I put my camera in the portrait shooting position, due to the weight of the lens, the camera would not stay at the shooting position because there is no longer any support of the camera body. Instead, the lens would tilt toward the ground. I hope this makes sense to you. Please advise.

Thank you.

What head are you using? Is it rated for a lens as heavy as the one you're using?

Buy an 'L' or elbow bracket that has a quick release attachment on both legs
Then you can switch from landscape to portrait very quickly and you don't put the extra torque on the ball.

Many ball heads just can't manage this position with a camera body and lens

What kind of quick release do you use?

analog.universe said:
What head are you using? Is it rated for a lens as heavy as the one you're using?

The brand is Oben made by B&H. It is rated at about 13lbs, far more than my camera and lens combined.

The_Traveler said:
Buy an 'L' or elbow bracket that has a quick release attachment on both legs
Then you can switch from landscape to portrait very quickly and you don't put the extra torque on the ball.

Many ball heads just can't manage this position with a camera body and lens

What kind of quick release do you use?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it. The quick release I have is arca Swiss style.

Use a lens mount.
Change it's center of gravity, or it's fulcrum, or whatever.

Most reactions

Back