Tripod question

i bought a manfrotto tripod from a garage sale for 50 bucks. i dont know if its a good one, but it works okay thus far....

A good, sturdy tripod may stay with you all your life. It is a fabulous, trustworthy photographic tool. And the best Image Quality enhancer around, bar none. I still use one I got 40 years ago.
So if you might be going to be using it for such a long time it's important to get a really good one. It's worth it to pay close attention to what you're getting and even to spend a little more than maybe you had anticipated. But what's a hundred bucks over 40 years, right? Worth it 3 times over, imo.

Agreed. Just never loan your life-long tripod friend to me.

Manaheim, The Tripod Slayer
mwuahahah...

:lmao:

Do not judge by price alone. I have the Walmart $30 tripod and love it. It must be noted though that my camera is half the cost of what people are recommending for a tripod here.

If you judge by price, as I see too many people simply state "spend more money" or "go for a $300 one", I did look at the tripods that my (not-so)local camera store had to offer. They had a variety from $19 up through $150 and they were all flimsy junk.

For $30, how can you go wrong to try it out if you would be willing to spend so much more? I certainly wouldn't use a $1000 camera with a giant 300+ mm lens on it, but if we are talking the tiny D40 with the kit lens, I can't see any problems with the tripod at Walmart.

I wish I would have gotten a chance to show it to my wife's aunt this past weekend. She was over for the Memorial Day picnic and she has a D40 with the 2 kit lenses. I am interested in how decent it would be with a small size dSLR. But she was too busy playing baseball with the kids (she's a high school gym teacher and girls basketball coach) and I was too busy with my own camera along with all the picnic cooking.

DO NOT buy a tripod that doesn't have the words 'Manfrotto' or 'Bogen' printed on it.

But neither of my Gitzo's say either, nor do my D&S Prolifts with the majestic heads, or my tiltalls.....;)

then again, Bogen/Manfrotto only make a few tripods that will support my favorite camera:
810P.jpg

erie

Epatsellis - what is that monster?
Do not think a camera counts unless you can hand-hold it.

Unless proportion of camera is way distorted compared to your AC vent, I doubt I can even lift your camera.

Best answer I've seen about "cheap tripod" is that to go ahead and buy the $30 one. You can't lose and if you do not like it - $30 isn't too bad a loss.

Epatsellis - what is that monster?
Do not think a camera counts unless you can hand-hold it.

Unless proportion of camera is way distorted compared to your AC vent, I doubt I can even lift your camera.

Best answer I've seen about "cheap tripod" is that to go ahead and buy the $30 one. You can't lose and if you do not like it - $30 isn't too bad a loss.
It's not a monster, it's a Sinar 8x10P view camera, it's not all that bad, weighs probably 18# or so. Now this is a monster:

DSCF7108.jpg

a self built 20x24 camera, that's a different 8x10 camera next to it for size comparison.

erie

If you do buy it at Walmart and don't like it...then, it is Walmart, and you can take it back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back