Tripod ratings

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have noticed that every tripod maker seems to have a load rating on their tripods, yet when they are specificly asked about a camera lens combo they seem to recomend a tripod with twice the load rating.

What gives ?
I have a camera, lensa andhead combo of 18lbs yet most manufacturers recommend a tripod with a load rating of 40 or so lbs

What is the rational?

It's one of those things like the fuel economy ratings you see on cars. Yep, in a perfect world, this car can get 900 miles/gallon. Do you ever drive in perfect conditions? No, ergo... As for tripods, always go with at least double the mftrs rating. That is, if you need to support 20 lbs of glass and body, buy a head and legs good for at least 40. Why? If you tripod supports 20 lbs and your lens & body weigh 19, and a gust of wind comes up? You don't want to be right at max capacity - a safety factor really.

The greater the load-bearing capacity, the stronger and more ridgid the tripod (normally) - one of those cases where spending a little extra $ can save you a wholeeeeeeee lot in the long run.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back