Tripod recommendation

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a cheap tripod that's about 10 years old. It really struggles to support the weight of my gripped 50D with 70-300 lens; if I flip it to portrait orientation it won't hold the camera in place no matter how tightly I crank it down, I still have to support it with one hand.

I'm also 6'4" and I have to hunch over to use my tripod.

So, I'm looking for a tripod that's a) tall, and b) will support a heavy camera.

I don't necessarily care how heavy (or light) the tripod itself is. Not sure how much a tripod that fits this bill should cost, but I'll spend up to $200 if need be to avoid the frustration of a camera that slowly droops over because the tripod can't hold its weight. I was tempted to throw mine in the river the other night because I was so frustrated and I'll pay to avoid that frustration again.

Jason

$200 isn't all that much to spend on a tripod, you can easily spend $100 or more just on the head.

Check into Slik and Manfrotto - should be able to find a used one in your price range.

I'm 6'2 and the Slik 750 Pro with Manfrotto 488 midi ball head work pretty well for me.

I started in this business more than 30 years ago. For the first ten years I went through 1/2 a dozen tripods. I bought cheap Slik junk then moved up to Manfrotto. I broke 3 of the Manfrotto tripods in as many years (kept falling off the back of my bike). Got one of those Leitz Tiltalls, not bad but I busted that too. Then I finally bit the bullet and bought a Gitzo. It was the most expensive and cheapest tripod I every bought, and the last. It's still in the trunk of my car. It fell off my bike too -- didn't hurt it. I knocked it off a bridge -- pain in bleep retrieving it -- didn't hurt it. It's scarred up bad and looks real ugly and works great; I used it Saturday. If I had kept buying Manfrottos at the rate I was going, by now I would have spent more than three Gitzos.

Joe

think about used. Not much to break on a quality tripod from the likes of manfrotto or bogen. Check local listings or ebay.... for legs you can start with 3001 or 3021 series. I tHink it is definitely reasonable to find a used head and legs witHin budget. This is especially true if you are willing to carry a heavier tripod.

My 3021 plus 3 way pan head tripod was found at a steal of 35 bucks

A 3001s and 3021 pro supported my pentax 67 with it's heaviest lens and should be more than enough. Gitzo is good to (traveler in my case) but expensive... and out of budget.

Last edited:
I started in this business more than 30 years ago. For the first ten years I went through 1/2 a dozen tripods. I bought cheap Slik junk then moved up to Manfrotto. I broke 3 of the Manfrotto tripods in as many years (kept falling off the back of my bike). Got one of those Leitz Tiltalls, not bad but I busted that too. Then I finally bit the bullet and bought a Gitzo. It was the most expensive and cheapest tripod I every bought, and the last. It's still in the trunk of my car. It fell off my bike too -- didn't hurt it. I knocked it off a bridge -- pain in bleep retrieving it -- didn't hurt it. It's scarred up bad and looks real ugly and works great; I used it Saturday. If I had kept buying Manfrottos at the rate I was going, by now I would have spent more than three Gitzos.

Joe

Sounds to me like someone is just plain careless with their gear.

you might look at vanguard, they are a fairly new company but have a nice product at good prices, and seem to making life interesting for the "big boys"

I've currently got 3 tripods that I'm using; A Manfrotto I've had for about 10 years that's never failed me in any way, a ProMaster Carbon Fiber that I picked up a few months ago cheap and am still evaluating, and a Calumet 7500 series that I picked up in San Francisco not long ago when I suddenly needed one out of the blue.

The Manfrotto cost me a bundle - and it was worth every penny, and still is.

The PM Carbon Fiber was not very expensive, but then, it's not really impressing me either.

The Calumet was inexpensive, but is turning out to be a major workhorse for me. It's heavy, it's tough, it's solid, it's got flip-lever leg locks exactly like my manfrotto, which I really like better than the twisters, legs that can flip up with the same kind of lock as the manfrotto, center column that can be extended much higher than my 5'7" eyes will ever need unless I'm on a stepladder, or pulled out and reversed to hang the camera underneath and close to the ground. In fact, it's a pretty capable rip-off of a good Manfrotto, down to the details - at half the price or less.

So, I'll say have a look at the Calumet tripods as well. I like what I picked up there a lot.

hey Buckster

Is the PM tripod you are evaluating this?

Promaster

I am considering it because of price point and it seems of decent quality but still contemplating it because PM has not had a good track record

Just a point; Tripods aren't meant to hold the weight of a camera. They're meant to prevent the camera from shaking while the picture is being taken.

hey Buckster

Is the PM tripod you are evaluating this?

Promaster

I am considering it because of price point and it seems of decent quality but still contemplating it because PM has not had a good track record
The one I have uses 3 leg extensions. It's at the house and I'm at work, or I'd give you the model number.

Just a point; Tripods aren't meant to hold the weight of a camera. They're meant to prevent the camera from shaking while the picture is being taken.
They need to do both so, yeah, they are meant to hold the weight of the camera as well. That's why they're weight-rated.

I can't rate the tripod I have highly enough. Very versatile, if a little heavy. Should do you fine, but I'm not sure what the exchange rate is just now but it cost me just over £150 new from Jessops (thanks to a stupid assistant who put the wrong tag on it! But I'm sure it's able to be bought far cheaper online!

Thanks for all the recommendations! After looking around I think I'm going to get the Calumet that Buckster recommended, with the Manfrotto 322RC2 head. The combination is a tad over my original budget, but it looks like a winning setup so WTF.

manfrotto is all i trust my gear with.

manfrotto is all i trust my gear with.

I'm the same now, I used to entrust my stuff to a £15 Hama Star42 from Asda. I shudder at the thought now, the difference in quality between that and the Manfrotto is night & day!

Most reactions

Back