Tripod suggestions

LaLO929

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking into purchasing a new tripod. Basically, I need some recommendations. I don't want to buy junk but I my budget is limited. I am by no means a professional. What tripod will work for a beginner?

I've had really good luck with Manfrotto/Bogens. My suggestion is make sure whatever you get is good and sturdy. When the legs are fully extended, make sure it does not wobble or shake much.

Many people buy very spindly, weak tripods and then put an expensive camera on top of them. We don't want your D200 to bite the dust because the tripod didn't hold it.

I am looking into purchasing a new tripod. Basically, I need some recommendations. I don't want to buy junk but I my budget is limited. I am by no means a professional. What tripod will work for a beginner?
How much are you looking to spend?

Can I get something decent for under $100?

well you can get a decent for under $100, but remember you get what you pay for. I have a Manfrotto/Bogen 785B which is not bad but it would be better if it were sturdier. And remember if you are looking at better tripods remember the head and legs come separate.

You can definitely get a sturdy tripod for under 100 bucks. BUT! It's going to be one heavy mother. Do you mind carrying a heavy tripod or no?

I have pretty big muscles to carry a heavy tripod... ;)

No, I don't mind if it's heavy. I think right now for where I am at I just need something to start with.

Any links to what you are looking at?

A lot of times you can find a somewhat old tripod, its big, its heavy, its really sturdy, but its cheap on ebay. Lots of good used tripods (not much can go wrong with one) and you can even find some steals on manfrotto. Be careful that the seller has good feedback though.

I've got a Manfrotto Art144, that my dad gave to me. I'd Imagine that it was a few hundred bucks back in the day, but they are all aluminum construction and EXTREMELY sturdy fully extended. i would imagine that you could probably purchase a tripod of this caliber for under 200$ today.

I would suggest spending as much as you can now, rather then repurchasing later. I have upgraded my tripod 3 times in just over a year. The last one cost nearly 1000 bucks, but the other 2 now collect dust. Point is, think of any possible weight load or features you may want in the future and shoot for that. I know budgets come into play, but its discouraging to have to upgrade some times.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go see what I can find at my local photo retailer.

Most reactions

Back