Tripod under 75$ and what is a remote switch for?

Hoomer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking into buy a decent tripod under a 75$ price range.
Any recomendations?

And what is a remote switch good for? The only use i can think of is a self prtrait, but that can be taken witrh the timer option, right?

Can't help you with the tripod questions since most quality tripods are in the 130+ range.

Remote switch is crucial for taking long exposures.

I must admit 75$ is a pretty low budget for a tripod, might want to check ebay. Like he said most tripods are at least 100$.

Remote switch is crucial for taking long exposures.

Remote switch is crucial for using a tripod ... long or short exposure. If you wobble with your camera while trying to push the shutter release button on the camera, that makes the tripod obsolete in a way.

the only workaround is the self timer ... but not much fun.

75 sounds not like a sturdy tripod... also you will need a tripod head. maybe second hand you can get something usable in that price range.

Homer,
This is a good read for any tripod buyer. http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

I'm not suggesting that you spend what the author did. But for $75.00 you are probably starting down the path he is talking about. A very good, last a lifetime tripod can be had for less than $300.

This is an extreemly popular tripod setup.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353322-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__3021BPRO_Tripod_Black_with.html

Amnova seems to be a Manfrotto knock off manufacturer. Heard good things about their tripods.
http://amvona.com/?page=shop/subcat&category_id=89769b2f73d9d7e940440e867abba4d0

I would suggest that you save your money and buy one that will do the job well, not only now but in the future.

I always hate it when someone wants to stick to a price range and all the recommendations are 4x the budget, but in this case I have to agree. I had an "decent" quantaray tripod that I think I paid about $125 for 10+ years ago. I recently picked up the tripod that gryphon suggested (Bogen 3021 Pro w/ the 488RC2 head) and it is really worth every penny. It's extremely sturdy and a heckuva nice combo. Tripods are one area where you can easily see that you get what you pay for. I put off getting it until I had a couple of decent digital bodies and lenses, but I should've done it a long time ago.

Johnboy2978, i understand you but u can't repremend someone just because he's on a budget.
I'm my case for example, i'm a hobby photographer (if i can call me that) and i'm gonna start from scratch. I've never done photography with quality material; always with ultra-light cameras. So, i don't understand much about it. And then there is the money; not everyone has hundreds of dollars to spend on a piece of equipment, especially one that doesn't strike me (as a beginner) as a fundamental one.
So before you go around a hating everybodys resaons/opinions have in mind that a)not everyone understands the importance of everything and b)not everyone has buckets of money to spend as they wished.

Thanks for your constructive critique though.:)

Johnboy2978, i understand you but u can't repremend someone just because he's on a budget.

huh, I guess you got Johnboy totally wrong here! ;)

I always hate it when someone wants to stick to a price range and all the recommendations are 4x the budget,

To me that means he usually hates it if others recommend expensive stuff if someone clearly stated he is on a certain budget! ... it does not mean he hates it if you are on a budget! ;)

... just in this case he agrees with those who say a cheap tripod is like no tripod and if you get one, try to stretch your budget. And I would agree here too. I would really consider second hand here!

Alex is correct here and apparently Hoomer missed the boat. When I used to visit computer forums, there were always questions of upgrading a $50-100 part and the recommendations were frequently, "oh, you should just scrap that idea and get this instead ..... a $1000 system". Same is true w/ camera equipment often. So what I said is that I hate it someone like the OP asks for a recommendation under $75 and all of the responses are much more than that.

In that case im sorry and apologize to Johnboy2978 :hail:

I probably have the same one that Johnboy used - I'm using the Quantaray that came with my camera that's around the ~$80 price mark. I don't necessarily like it, but it's what I have & what I have to use since I don't have any more dough. I've shopped around and the majority of the tripods in this price range are of the same quality. I think you should try out ones in your budget in the shop and see what works best for you. Try opening and closing them, making adjustments, and one of them may stand out as easier to handle.

something is better than nothing.

Yeah something is better then nothing thats true, but really you should check ebay, tripods unless they're really hammered on usually maintain strength well, so with a used one you could get a much better quality tripod at a decent price.

Most reactions

Back