Tripod - WHICH ONE?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I thought it would be a good idea to devote a thread to this. I am looking for a low cost tripod that will get the job done of just holding my camera still, without risking it falling off. Just to get better at bulb pics, etc. This is just an example for you to critique - Amazon.com: Vista Explorer 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Tripod Bag: Camera & Photo How would that be? And while we're at it, what would be a good remote shutter?

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Please, do yourself a very big favor and don't. A cheap tripod is just that, cheap. You have a good camera, can you afford to replace it? I've had cheap tripods, we all have, and there is no substitute for quality when it comes to tripods. The inexpensive ones vibrate, they don't lock solidly, they move, they do everything except what they are supposed to do which is provide a rock-solid platform for your camera. If you get a cheap one I guarantee that you will be looking for another one inside 6 months.

I personally recommend Manfrotto highly. They aren't in the same league as Sachtler or Really Right Stuff or the high-end Gitzo's but they are very good and moderately priced.

SCraig said:
Please, do yourself a very big favor and don't. A cheap tripod is just that, cheap. You have a good camera, can you afford to replace it? I've had cheap tripods, we all have, and there is no substitute for quality when it comes to tripods. The inexpensive ones vibrate, they don't lock solidly, they move, they do everything except what they are supposed to do which is provide a rock-solid platform for your camera. If you get a cheap one I guarantee that you will be looking for another one inside 6 months.

I personally recommend Manfrotto highly. They aren't in the same league as Sachtler or Really Right Stuff or the high-end Gitzo's but they are very good and moderately priced.

All of this ^^^

I bought a cheap 75.00 tripod when I got my camera. Cheap tripods suck - they break easily and they don't really hold the camera all that steady. It's not noticeable until you get into long exposures - or it wasn't in my case.

carbon Manfrotto FTW
bigthumb.gif

I just picked up a BENRO C2691TB1 Carbon Tripod Monopod. You can actually remove one of the tripod legs and turn it into a monopod. Awesome little system.

I was at a large and relatively well-stocked photo store about a month ago, and spent 20-25 minutes looking at tripods. My conclusion??? You need to spend right around $119 to $129 before a Manfrotto tripod is even worth bothering with, in aluminum. Don't spend ANY LESS than that for a set of legs. Just DON'T. It'll end up being an utter waste of funds.

There's only a few thousand threads like this asking the same question... and you will get the same answers now as the earlier posters did! Did you even try a SEARCH?

Manfrotto or Giottos.. can't go wrong! And they are much less expensive than the high end, like Gitzo and RRS. Spend $200-300 minimum....

She prefers only the Manfrotto tripods and light stands.

SRW_3129-1.jpg

I bought a used Leitz Tiltall for 60 bucks that is built like a tank.

Having said that it isn't the lightest thing ever made.

But you're young right?

I may have to check that Leitz out, as for the reason I posted this, it's because I also wanted to get thoughts on the tripod that I linked xD

I may have to check that Leitz out, as for the reason I posted this, it's because I also wanted to get thoughts on the tripod that I linked xD

The one you linked to?? PURE JUNK!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have it, somewhere in the back of my closet with all my other worthless possessions.

Simply put, that tripod you linked to is GARBAGE.

I could regurgitate what I've heard elsewhere, but I'll just let you read it from the source.

Thom Hogan's take on tripods

Most reactions

New Topics

Back