Packs up fairly small
ball head
Sturdy
Will last a while
Under $150
I usually buy through amazon

Any brands/models that come to mind?

Much thanks!

A Ball head under $150 is going to be tough if you ask me, unless you're willing to go through a company I went through. Amvona on Ebay sells some pretty decent stuff for pretty cheap. It's an actual company using Ebay to sell some things. I've bought my tripod, backdrop stand, couple umbrellas, and a couple muslins from them and I've been very happy. The tripod casing did smell a little like gasoline when I first got it, but after a week the smell was gone...I've heard others complain about his too. I wonder if it is in the way they process the materials for the case...oh well.

With those requirements, you're going to have to compromise on something. Just a good ball head (without tripod) can cost well over $150. What's the largest camera / lens you will use on the tripod?

I don't own one of these, but look at the reviews of the Slik 700DX at B&H Photo. It gets great reviews for a $130 tripod.

Thom Hogan on tripods.

Food for thought if you'll have heavier gear.

I can comprimise on that if a ball head could replace the other head when I can afford to add on.

I have an xti ... I doubt I will ever get any of those huge lenses so

With those requirements, you're going to have to compromise on something. Just a good ball head (without tripod) can cost well over $150. What's the largest camera / lens you will use on the tripod?

I don't own one of these, but look at the reviews of the Slik 700DX at B&H Photo. It gets great reviews for a $130 tripod.

I have the Slik 700DX pro legs only I did not get the head ( I wanted a deferent head) the legs are very sold easy to use nothing fancy but fit every thing I need and nothing more. They are not for hiking & backpacking across mountains they would just get two heavy with every thing else. I use mine for portrait, wedding, night photography well I use mine for every thing except to take Back packing. if you google for reviews on these tripods you will find they are some of the hardest to beat for there price and you will have a hard time finding any complaint other then they weigh 7 pounds.
I hope this helps

A Ball head under $150 is going to be tough if you ask me, unless you're willing to go through a company I went through. Amvona on Ebay sells some pretty decent stuff for pretty cheap. It's an actual company using Ebay to sell some things. I've bought my tripod, backdrop stand, couple umbrellas, and a couple muslins from them and I've been very happy. The tripod casing did smell a little like gasoline when I first got it, but after a week the smell was gone...I've heard others complain about his too. I wonder if it is in the way they process the materials for the case...oh well.

The brand of the actual tripods is dynatran, and they make some ok stuff for pennies on the dollar. I'm not all that impressed with the legs I got, although they are super solid, but the ball head I got is really nice. I am very impressed.

Most reactions

Back