Tripod

Cain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. I am a beginner and am looking to buy a tripod. What should I be looking for in a tripod? I plan to take skateboarding pictures and perhaps do some stop motion :). I have a nikon d90. Can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

When it comes to tripods, there are three main characteristics;

#1. Strong & sturdy
#2. Light weight
#3. Low Price

You only get to pick two of the three.

Id like to spend less then $100 for sure...but I have no idea what they cost haha..

I choose #1. Strong & sturdy and #3. Low Price :)

I like Manfrotto tripods but they are not cheap.

Most 'good quality' tripods come separate from the head...so you buy the legs and then buy the type of head that you want. Some common types are 3-way, ball and pan & tilt.

You can find cheap tripods, usually with built-in plastic heads but they usually aren't very steady when conditions aren't good.

Which ever way you go, I'd suggest getting one that has a quick release option.

thanks for replys, could someone maybe throw a few links to decent tripods my way just so i can get an idea? Thanks again.

Id like to spend less then $100 for sure...but I have no idea what they cost haha..

I choose #1. Strong & sturdy and #3. Low Price :)
My standard tripod recommendation is the Bogen/Manfrotto 190XPROB legs or 055XPROB legs with the Bogen/Manfrotto 486RC2 compact ball head or 488RC2 midi ball head, but either combination will run you between $175 to $275.

For less than $100 take a look at the tripod/head combos from brands like Cullman, Giottos, Hakuba, Impact, Slik, Smith-Victor, Sunpack or Velbon...they're probably all very similar to one another.

Here's a Bogen/Manfrotto Compact Digital Tripod with 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head for $95.

Here's a Bogen/Manfrotto Digital Tripod with Ballhead for $90.

Last edited:
My standard tripod recommendation is the Bogen/Manfrotto 190XPROB legs
Good recommendation!

Like a lot of things, it's best to see & handle tripods & heads before you buy. Go to a well stocked camera store and see what they have. There are a lot of little features/quirks that you may or may not want or need. Some can get really low to the ground while some don't. Some pack up smaller, some are taller etc.

Welcome to the forum.

When it comes to tripods, there are three main characteristics;

#1. Strong & sturdy
#2. Light weight
#3. Low Price

You only get to pick two of the three.

the same criteria applies to road/tri bikes.

look for a used tripod you may be able to get alittle better tripod used than buying brand new. craigslist is the ****.All of my camera stuff aside from my 50mm and my sb800 have come off craigslist.

Also the Slik 700 gets thumbs up from me. a shade on the heavy side but what ever.

Most reactions

Back