Tripod?

itsjustbrandy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a new tripod. The one that I have now, was given to me. It's worked for the little time that I have had it, but now spring is here and it's time to get a new one :D

Can you recommend a good tripod, with a nice price :sexywink:? I plan on going downtown to buy one this weekend. If I can get a better deal, though, I'll buy it online. :thumbup:

Thanks for your help :mrgreen:

Anyone looking to buy a tripod needs to read this article first:
Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

You don't need to spend the kind of money that Thom does unless you are using the kind of equipment that he does. But his point is a valid one. Don't buy for today, rather buy for the future and spend accordingly. For $200-$300 you can get a setup that will last you a lifetime. Or you can spend $60 now, $60 two years from now, $80 five years from now $120 nine years from now and have spent $320 and only get nine or ten years of life. You have to decide.

If you are willing to spend the money then look into the Manfrotto line say the 190 or 055 series with the type of head you prefer. This can be a useful tool to figure out what you want/need from Manfrotto. http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/news/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/16203/lang/en
Giottos also makes some good stuff at a decent price and I have heard good stuff about Amvona legs. Not impressed with their heads but their legs seem good.

On line the reputable dealers that I have dealt with are B&H, Adorama, and Beach Camera in that order.

First question to ask is "what is your price range?"

Pretty much anything from Manfrotto/Bogen are good options. Their less expensive line, digi tripod (or something like that), seem well built/designed and have heads included. Another brand of that I have had good results is Velbon. High end tripods from Monfrotto/bogen and gitzo are bomb proof.... as such I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one of their tripods used.

I am buying the Manfrotto 055xprob next week. I borrowed one and can say it's a great unit. Very stable and rugged.

The other question you should ask yourself is how will you use it. I syou plan to lug it around on trips, you may want to opt for a carbon fiber 4 section unit that is light and will be folder when packed.

I have seen a lot of people start out with the SLIK brand as a starter. For the most part, people seem pleased with them. They are considerably cheaper than the Manfrotto/Bogen lines. Althought not quite as good, they may fit your needs.

I really like mine with a 322 head, gitzo makes even better products.

I just bought a manfrotto 190XPROB with a tilt/pan head and am might impressed with how solid it is compared to the $40 one i had been using before.

Anyone looking to buy a tripod needs to read this article first:
Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

You don't need to spend the kind of money that Thom does unless you are using the kind of equipment that he does. But his point is a valid one. Don't buy for today, rather buy for the future and spend accordingly. For $200-$300 you can get a setup that will last you a lifetime. Or you can spend $60 now, $60 two years from now, $80 five years from now $120 nine years from now and have spent $320 and only get nine or ten years of life. You have to decide.

If you are willing to spend the money then look into the Manfrotto line say the 190 or 055 series with the type of head you prefer. This can be a useful tool to figure out what you want/need from Manfrotto. tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports ,professional tripod - Manfrotto Configurator
Giottos also makes some good stuff at a decent price and I have heard good stuff about Amvona legs. Not impressed with their heads but their legs seem good.

On line the reputable dealers that I have dealt with are B&H, Adorama, and Beach Camera in that order.

I second this, I bought a couple of cheap tripods and each time I spent a little more money. I had one that was about 70 dollars, I was shooting I turn my head to check something off to my rear and one of the legs gave way and everything hit the ground. The fall had broke my macro lens, my flash and after I got everything away from the tripod I completely smashed it into a thousand bits. Now I own a Manfrotto. Very hard lesson to learn, don't go cheap on a tripod.

I really like mine with a 322 head, gitzo makes even better products.

Agreed, but at a price comparable to the quality improvement. The two Gitzo's I own were both puchased for special needs. One $$$$ thing to support big glass on a Wimberley II head and one $$$ basalt for the stability and weight reduction for traveling/packing with. My two most used are still my manfrottos.

Most reactions

Back