Tripod

PhysPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently using a $5 tripod (used, yardsale). I figured that I'd use it until I knew exactly what I want in a tripod. Well, I'm about sick of the old one and want to get a new tripod soon.

Here is what I want:
-Sturdy mount (my D40 has nearly fallen twice)
-Sturdy legs. There are a lot of hills where I shoot.
-Smooth hinges that are easily adjustable. I would like to be able to move the X axis without moving the Z, etc.
-Lightweight. I'd like to take it on day hikes.
-Cheap. I'm willing to spend up to $150 on it.
-Durable. I want this to last a long time (10+ years). I'm generally easy on items.
-Versatile. Macro to landscapes.

I don't feel that these demands are too demanding and are probably what the general market desires.
Any starting point suggestions?

There are three aspects of a tripod

* Light weight
* inexpensive
* sturdy.

You can ONLY pick 2.

If you want lightweight AND sturdy, its going to be expensive. (Gitzo carbon fiber for example)

If you want cheap and sturdy, its going to be heavy (Bogen aluminum pro series for example)

If you want lightweight and inexpensive, its not going to be sturdy. (cheapo from K-mart)

If you want lightweight, cheap, and sturdy, you might need to steal it. :p

Your demands are probably unreasonable.... you might find that rare deal used but good luck with that.

Also, It is going to be difficult for people to make recommendations unless they know how much weight the tripod needs to support. What is the approximate weight of the heaviest lens + camera?

Unfortunately $150 doesn't buy much. I just bought a tripod and had a $200 budget and spent $280 on it. Carbon fiber is expensive where aluminum is less money. More leg sections may equal less sturdy. Ball heads seem to be more money than pan heads. A tripod with an articulating center column will cost more than one without.

As far as brands - look at Vanguard, Manfrotto and Benro; actually KEH is having a Benro sale. They all have tripod legs under $150 and they may have complete tripods for about $150. A little more money is the Giottos tripods. Go to the major on-line retailers and see if you see something and if they have reviews on them.

Look at it this way: if you buy a VR or IS lens, you're gonna pay at least $200+ for a lens with this capability over a non VR or IS lens. That gets you 2-4 stops of additional exposure capability (as always, YMMV). With a tripod, you get 8+ stops of stability, plus a lot of other features. So spending $200 on a good tripod and maybe the same on a good head is going to allow you to do stuff with your equipment that you just couldn't do otherwise. Not to mention, with a good tripod/head, you get the stability that you will need to do lens testing, exposure calibration, macro work, etc., etc. I'd say a good tripod/head is one of the most under-rated accessories you can get.

you can go to bestbuy and buy one of the cheap manfrotto tripods ;D. they're under 150.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
if you are willing to choose sturdy and inexpensive as your priorities, you can probably find a good quality bogen/manfrotto tripod with 3 way head within your budget. It just won't be lightweight.. tough aluminum build

I can not recommend these legs enough:
Amazon.com: Slik 615317 700DX Pro Tripod Legs Black: Electronics

They're extremely sturdy, have a VERY solid feel to them, and the pressure required adjust the legs is just right. Pair them with the head of your choice and you're ready to rock. These legs are rated for 18lbs. One of those 4 reviews is mine.. the one where it mentions doing research to find out the true payload. Love love love them. The legs alone are 7lbs, which is heavy.. but I don't have much of a problem with that.

Nice and professional looking too, and they come with a carry bag. B&H also sells them.

EDIT: Oops, I see you already mentioned the 700DX legs. Well, here's my review: they're excellent.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
^Cool! I think I'll just go with the one that comes with a head since it's in my current price range. I may do a little more research on ball heads just to see if there's a better one for $50.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Most reactions

Back