Tripod

stickman.walks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Want to get a pro grade tripod. I want something that can lend itself both to studio environment AND outdoors. For the here and now, it will be carried around and photo excursions around the city. Nothing like hiking up a mountain or anything, but still walking around all day with it. But, I also don`t want to have something that is so light and flimsy that I definitely need to have another for in-studio shoots. So a best of both worlds workhorse.

Any suggestions?

It can be an all-in-one or stand/head separates. Maybe around $500 price tag.

A $500 price tag eliminates most CF models, so you're pretty much stuck with aluminum legs. I would look for a good set of Manfrotto 190 Pro legs and a 068 or similar head. New, that should come in around $400, used maybe $300. A point to bear in mind is that most tripods with non-interchangable heads tend to be consumer/entry-level models. Manfrotto, Giottos, RRS and Benbo are all good names. For heads, typically a ball head is more versatile than a tilt-pan model, but make sure you get one with a separate panning base and a friction control.

I will agree with that recommendation. Manfrotto 190 Pro legs should fit your needs and then you can match it up with whatever head will work best for you and fit your budget.

I have the Manfrotto 190 Pro and love it but I recommend the Manfrotto 055XPROB for the bigger legs.

Take a look at Vanguard tripods, I bought the Alta Pro 263 which is similar to the Manfrotto 055XPROB. I paired it with a Benro B-3 ballhead. The ballhead can take Arca mounting plates. I haven't used it a lot but the combo seems sturdy.

I'd recommend you get a quality ball head too, whichever legset etc you opt for.

One tri-pod I can highly recommend with out reservation is the Sanford & Davis Compac Gear Tri-pod ( Davis & Sanford Tripods ). This tri-pod had withstood the rigors of the back country in all seasons, with no problems at all yet it's great for the studio as well. I like the geared center post, the way it holds position, and the solid feel. If I want to use a ball head with it, then I lock pan head and mount one on the pan head. With an optional clamp on extension, you can get way low to just above ground level or way high ( close to 7 ft.) The 10 year warranty is also another big plus. I also have their Air Lift Tri-pod and that brute can easily handle anything, as far as cameras go, I'll ever dream of throwing at it.

For under $500 you might look here. You could get this carbon fiber pod and a center column of your choice. Feisol has garnered a good reputation the past few years for making high quality Gitzo knockoffs. A comparable Gitzo would run you closer to 800-900. You might want to check out this link. http://www.feisol.com/ The first one I posted was Feisol USA. This one is from the main company in Taiwan China. You would probably get it faster and cheaper than ordering from Feisol USA.

Last edited:
I have a Vanguard Alta 263 AT tripod with a Vanguard SBH-100 ball head. Fantastic pair and I use it for all the reasons you want to use yours. They came as a package deal for $200 CDN.

Check out Induro tripods they are like a inexpensive Gitzo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back