Tripods for outdoors?

Mole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need suggestions for a tripod that would good to take outdoors with me. I need one that I can put in the water or mud. It will be used with my 30D. Should I just get a cheapy or spend the money?

if you already have a tripod, and are worried about getting it messy, maybe just wrap the legs.
otherwise, just spend the money on a good tripod. no sense in buying a cheap one, only for it to break shortly after.

I'd go to your local camera store and get a real el-cheapo $20 sunpak tripod if you're going to be putting it in mud.

well, really good tripods don't sufffer from mud ... unless it is not stuck really deep in the mud ;)

just clean the tripods legs before you fold it together.

gryphonslair99 said:
You might want to read this. Very intereting and humerous. And no I haven't spent what the author has on a tripod.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Isn't that all the truth what he's saying. I wish I could spend the money he's talking about but its not pratical when im doing this for myself.

Im looking for a good tripod that is practical for a hobby person like myself.

That is where it is good to sit down with a calculator and figure up what the weight is of the equipment you are using and the maximum camera/lens weight you will be placing on a tripod at any given time. Then look at different leg and head combos. I would stay away from prepackaged sets unless it is something that you have been able to look at as seperate pieces. Decide what you like, Pan/Tilt head, ball head, etc. A good set of aluminum legs or if you have the money carbon fiber. Then put together what is right for you. I guess my point of the article was find something that will work for you from the start. I have been through 3 tripods that have gone by the wayside. I have kept one set of legs, but the rest all ended up in the trash as they could not do the job.

My personal preference is the Monfrotto [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]3021BPRO Tripod Legs with 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead. Nothing I put on it comes close to the 11lb support weight of the head or the 22lb for the legs and I like the side grip. Many people I know like the [/FONT]488RC2 Ball Head on the same legs. Like you I do this for my self so I decided to spend around $250 for this setup and have been very happy with no plans to change anytime soon. Of course if I ever get that EF 500 f4 I want, I will have to look at a whole new setup, but that is a (long) ways down the road. Good luck.

gryphonslair99 said:
That is where it is good to sit down with a calculator and figure up what the weight is of the equipment you are using and the maximum camera/lens weight you will be placing on a tripod at any given time. Then look at different leg and head combos. I would stay away from prepackaged sets unless it is something that you have been able to look at as seperate pieces. Decide what you like, Pan/Tilt head, ball head, etc. A good set of aluminum legs or if you have the money carbon fiber. Then put together what is right for you. I guess my point of the article was find something that will work for you from the start. I have been through 3 tripods that have gone by the wayside. I have kept one set of legs, but the rest all ended up in the trash as they could not do the job.

My personal preference is the Monfrotto [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]3021BPRO Tripod Legs with 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead. Nothing I put on it comes close to the 11lb support weight of the head or the 22lb for the legs and I like the side grip. Many people I know like the [/FONT]488RC2 Ball Head on the same legs. Like you I do this for my self so I decided to spend around $250 for this setup and have been very happy with no plans to change anytime soon. Of course if I ever get that EF 500 f4 I want, I will have to look at a whole new setup, but that is a (long) ways down the road. Good luck.

Thanks for that response, I think you covered it all. I've also been thinking today how much I want to spend and it came down to, if i'm going to spend whatever on a really good lens I might as well do the same with a tripod. Also I took some shots today with a generic tripod I borrowed from my dad and it just drove me nuts. I could watch the lens keep moving after I set the timer. Plus the stability was not there.

What do you guys think of this set up for $233?[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod Legs (Black) with 488RC2 Midi Ballhead (RC2 Quick Release) - Supports 11.8 lb (5.4 kg)[/FONT]

shim.gif

I think that you are looking at a combo that is a popular choice by a lot of photographers. If it suits your style of photography you should be very happy with it. By chance, are you buying this from a mom and pop shop that will let you try it out first?

I bought the 055mf3 Manfrotto legs and 468mgrc2 Manfrotto head a month ago. I have been very happy with both. The head cost more than the legs but it was well worth it. The hydrostatic ball head works as advertised. Monster grip and no movement when tightening. It also has a seperate lockout for swiveling the head. I think it's the perfect head for general shooting plus panoramic.

The article above is very true. I chuckled at the part where it mentioned the velbon tripod. Becasue it's what I had before the Manfrotto.

Mole said:
What do you guys think of this set up for $233?[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod Legs (Black) with 488RC2 Midi Ballhead (RC2 Quick Release) - Supports 11.8 lb (5.4 kg)[/FONT]

shim.gif
Bogen/Manfrotto, IMHO, is the bizzle fo shizzle.

I would spring for a "wilderness" variant if they offer it on that model. It includes I believe the padded legs...very nice when it's cold + scratch/dent resistance is added in at minimal weight...and retractable leg spikes in case you are setting up on a hillside or something inherently unstable.

With proper care your grandkids will be trying to wear it out.

LWW

Yup, loved that article. Bought a lot of crappy tri-pods before I finally went with a nice Manfrotto legs and head.

gryphonslair99 said:
By chance, are you buying this from a mom and pop shop that will let you try it out first?

No I don't have any real photography places near where I live. That's why I ask so many questions on what others have used. I know a lot of people say you should always try stuff before you buy but its not always practical. I have been buying stuff online for awhile now and this method has worked out good so far.

Most reactions

Back