Tripods - where to start?!

Babs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really like playing around with zoomed in macro photos (technical name, obviously ;-) ) with my Tamron lens but I'm finding my unsteady hands are meaning the pictures are coming out blurry.

Is there any point in buying a cheap "starter" tripod just while I'm learning and having a play around still? TBH I really don't know what I'm looking for with regards features, etc. It would have to be relatively portable and price-wise it would absolutely have to be under £50 and preferably under £30! I don't want something which is going to break after one use either.

Jessops have this one at £60 off, coming in at £29. Is this a good deal? Or just too good to be true?
Velbon Sherpa Tripod - Jessops

Others in the similar price range:
Velbon DF-40 Tripod - Jessops
Velbon Sherpa 250 Tripod - Jessops
Velbon CX mini Tripod - Jessops
Velbon DF-50 Tripod - Jessops

Any views on the little Gorilla Pods? But am I right in saying I'd need to buy a separate head with this?
Joby Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom - Jessops

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Tripods for your use are a pain. Too tall, too short, legs in the way or wrong angle. Take a lesson from an Artist. Use a stick securly resting it at the one end and held by one hand at the other. The Brush hand then rests against the stick hovering steadily above the subject. Do so likewise with a stick and rest the camera on your hand/stick connection. http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dmahl%2B%2Bsticks%26b%3D1%26ni %3D21%26ei%3Dutf-8%26y%3DSearch%26xargs%3D0%26pstart%3D1%26fr%3Dmoz 35&w=320&h=316&imgurl=4.bp.blogspot.com%2F_Eiwce13X738%2FR61r9Wdf 7KI%2FAAAAAAAABj0%2FDBog-36fbGk%2Fs320%2FMahl_in_use.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgurneyjourney.blogspot.com%2F200 8%2F02%2Fmahl-stick.html&size=40KB&name=hand+rests+on+th...&p=mahl++sticks&oid=87fd4d86c6f951e91d8fbc87feec16cf&fr2=&no=9&tt=54&b=1&ni=21&sigr=11pprmiik&sigi=12ndt3d7d&sigb=13hl71hfh

Other wise you probably would benefit from a tripod and boom arrangement similar to this costing £69.00 Giottos MTL9351B Adjustable Column Aluminium Tripod (GTMTL9351B) - Warehouse Express The next link has better photo of it in use.

Yahoo! Image Detail for - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/data/500/Craigseat-1317.jpg

video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. The boom makes perfect sense and I understand now that's what I'd need. That looks like a good tripod, but a bit out my reach at the moment, especially if a head is separate. But I'll keep an eye out for a second hand one.

In the meantime that stick trick you posted may work if I practice!

Thank you!

Thanks for that. The boom makes perfect sense and I understand now that's what I'd need. That looks like a good tripod, but a bit out my reach at the moment, especially if a head is separate. But I'll keep an eye out for a second hand one.

In the meantime that stick trick you posted may work if I practice!

Thank you!

You can use a rough texture stick, wrap a short loop strap around it so that accidental slippage is not an issue and use it as a wrist strap thus freeing both hands fingers for manipulating the camera. Kind of like tug of war players wrap the rope around the wrist yet are able to grip the rope. Frequently a found stick and a scarf or belt can be improvised at the scene.

Thanks both.

Kundalini - that link makes very interesting reading, thanks!

Thank you for some good reading. Most of my "keepers" have been taken with the camera on a tripod, but there's always room to improve one's gear. Your link (and Thom's links) really point out that stability is a key factor in allowing one to reach the potential of one's equipment. Outside of action photography, using a good tripod/head combination makes the difference between hoping for a good shot, and knowing you've done everything to give yourself the chance of getting it all right.

I really like playing around with zoomed in macro photos (technical name, obviously ;-) ) with my Tamron lens but I'm finding my unsteady hands are meaning the pictures are coming out blurry.

Is there any point in buying a cheap "starter" tripod just while I'm learning and having a play around still? TBH I really don't know what I'm looking for with regards features, etc. It would have to be relatively portable and price-wise it would absolutely have to be under £50 and preferably under £30! I don't want something which is going to break after one use either.

Jessops have this one at £60 off, coming in at £29. Is this a good deal? Or just too good to be true?
Velbon Sherpa Tripod - Jessops

Others in the similar price range:
Velbon DF-40 Tripod - Jessops
Velbon Sherpa 250 Tripod - Jessops
Velbon CX mini Tripod - Jessops
Velbon DF-50 Tripod - Jessops

Any views on the little Gorilla Pods? But am I right in saying I'd need to buy a separate head with this?
Joby Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom - Jessops

Thanks! :)

How 'bout this one:

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back