Tripot

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Frustration! My tripot failed me last night at DC. I had to hold it by hand so a lot of my pictures may fail.... The level handle's thread got stripped, so I couldn't tighten it and it just tips over when I put my camera on.

Anyways, I am looking for a tripot that has pretty good stability because I have a 70~300 lens and with my old tripot, sometimes it slips off.
Another thing is whenever I use a tripot, I am on the move, most likely walking( 7 miles in Chicago and 8 miles in DC last night). So with my other equipment, it's going to get real heavy. I like my current one because it's light weight( also contributes to its failure last night), and it's really easy to setup.

So what would you suggest? Any specific brand or model?

I can possibily try to fix my tripot, but it will take quite some time to fabricate some parts.

Well mate, I am a lover of Jessops, and I suggest a Jessops brand Tripod or Monopod.

Tripods are good, but like you say, when your walking, youll want something lightweirght or different.
A mono pod, only has 1 leg, so you have to support it using your other legs as the 2 other tripod legs if you will.

This is the monopod I am going to buy, and I would suggest you to get.
Here
The great thing is that it can double as a cane and or something to help you walk.

The tripod I have is this, Here

Hope this helps mate.

whoa that one looks pretty cool artemus.

molested_cow
My advice is: instead of walking get a bike.

Unfortunately, when it comes to tripods you'll usually find the following to be true:

light and easy to carry = not very sturdy
heavy and a drag to carry = very sturdy

LOL, how can you be so cruel? :lol:

Thanks mate, I like my tripod, its very light, but the legs wiggle a bit, althgough in all fairness its GREAT value for money, and a half strong. I friend of mine kneed it by mistake and it didnt get damaged at all.

A good solid and sturdy tripod is worth its weight in gold. Having something solid to absorb vibration and supporting your gear is critical to consistently sharp images.

I prefer Bogen/Manfrotto or Gitzo gear. Great quality, and long lasting stuff. I am currently using a Bogen 3205GN3, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=269917&is=REG , and have been happy with this guy for 2 years now. With the pan/tilt head it weights 6+ lbs. and I take it hiking with me.

The main problem I have is that most light weight tripots mounts are made of plastic. It means that after a while the screw threads to the various adjustments will get stripped, which was exactly what happened to mine. And it takes just one of those failures to scrap your tripot, so it's quite a headache.

I don't know if anyone makes light weight tripots with metal threads, meaning actually using inserts like in furnitures so that the screw threads will last a much longer time.

Many of the lighter, less sturdy tripods are also pretty cheap compared to the sturdy ones. I think of them as somewhat disposable. If a $50 tripod gets a year or two of good use then that's great, it's served it's purpose. Eventually it wears out and I get a new one (maybe use the old one to hold reflectors or something).

On the other hand my heavy and sturdy Bogen ($250) will last for life, and if it does break, it is repairable. There are some sturdy carbon fiber tripods, but they are expensive, and not that much lighter in weight.

oriecat said:
tripot? Is that like 3xs as strong as normal pot?
Maybe he has a Benbo, which would qualify as a 'Go-Bot'.

Tripod to

Robot that

Transforms =

Go-Bot

Transformable Tripod = Tripot :wink:

I just had a great marketing idea....................

Most reactions

Back