BKSPicture

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.bkspicture.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Technical info
Camera: Chamonix 045n-2 (4×5″ large format)
Lens: Carl Zeiss Jena - Tessar 12cm f/4.5
Film: Paper negative
Scanner: Epson V700
Place: Uddevalla / Sweden

HiRes ver of this picture can be found on my homepage: [url]http://bkspicture.com/Scan-Digital_Man_Made_10.html[/URL]

Unfortunately it's just a picture of a statue. I was hoping for something interesting.

You CAN take pictures of statuary, but it's not easy... in order to do it and have anything photographic to show, you have to do something to reinterpret someone else's work... different scenes, lighting, angles, environmental elements, etc. You do seem to have a LITTLE of that here, but not enough to make it work... and mind you, even when you DO make it work, the picture is still pretty thin from a photographic merit standard.

I can show you some examples of ones I have done that I think are PRETTY good... if you don't mind me posting images in your thread.

Unfortunately it's just a picture of a statue. I was hoping for something interesting.

You CAN take pictures of statuary, but it's not easy... in order to do it and have anything photographic to show, you have to do something to reinterpret someone else's work... different scenes, lighting, angles, environmental elements, etc. You do seem to have a LITTLE of that here, but not enough to make it work... and mind you, even when you DO make it work, the picture is still pretty thin from a photographic merit standard.

I can show you some examples of ones I have done that I think are PRETTY good... if you don't mind me posting images in your thread.

Im always happy to see what others think and love to see some exampels that show what might worked better etc.
Thats the main reason why I post my work here.
But you seems to have a very fixed view of whats right and wrong.

I clicked on this thinking that we were going to discuss who should be nominated for this title on TPF. (Now back to my regular scheduled programing)

You are putting out some great work lately - I love the results you're getting!

I don't have any particular comment about the subject matter - he's a quirky character, period. For me this one works because of the texture, tonality, and terrific chosen DOF. I love it! My main nitpick would be the shelf edge running across the bottom of the frame. If that were gone the composition would strengthen the effect of your little character being more other-worldly, and less like a toy on a shelf, if that makes sense. :)

All that aside, I still like this one a lot. :thumbup:

I agree with Terri, I like the way the circular background frames the statue but without the ledge showing it might make it seem a little more fantasy than reality. I'm interested in paper negatives and want to try that process sometime; looking at your site and Facebook page it looks like you've created some wonderfully done photographs.

Im always happy to see what others think and love to see some exampels that show what might worked better etc.
Thats the main reason why I post my work here.
But you seems to have a very fixed view of whats right and wrong.

Ummm... well, if you mean I have a strong opinion, well then... yes. Yes I do.

I won't bother posting the examples as I'm getting a bit of a vibe from your last comment there.

Good luck with it.

Oh, btw... I just re-read my original post. I said "I was hoping for something interesting." My apologies, that sounded pretty rude. What I meant was that the title of this post had me anticipating something really unique and way out there, and I was just surprised to see "just a picture of a statue". Not intended to diminish that overly, it was just less astounding than I expected.

I suppose there's no gentle way to say that and I'm probably digging myself in deeper, but... well, I tried. :)

Oh, btw... I just re-read my original post. I said "I was hoping for something interesting." My apologies, that sounded pretty rude. What I meant was that the title of this post had me anticipating something really unique and way out there, and I was just surprised to see "just a picture of a statue". Not intended to diminish that overly, it was just less astounding than I expected.

I suppose there's no gentle way to say that and I'm probably digging myself in deeper, but... well, I tried. :)

None offense taken.
Saying that any picture of a statue will be a weak picture regardless is quite a narrow view in my book.
And thats what I ment with my comment.

But no one is right or wrong when it comes to any type of art form and that canvas with just some simpel lines for me can be art for someone ells.
And I always appreciat other comment and view even if I'm not always agreeing with them.

Thanks and I still like want to see some nice statue pic from you :)

You are putting out some great work lately - I love the results you're getting!

I don't have any particular comment about the subject matter - he's a quirky character, period. For me this one works because of the texture, tonality, and terrific chosen DOF. I love it! My main nitpick would be the shelf edge running across the bottom of the frame. If that were gone the composition would strengthen the effect of your little character being more other-worldly, and less like a toy on a shelf, if that makes sense. :)

All that aside, I still like this one a lot. :thumbup:

I really like this little edge at the bottom but yes it's true it do becoume a little more of a toy with this.
Not that it would fool anyone after a 2 sec view without it :)

Many thanks for the feedback, much appreciat!

Last edited:
I agree with Terri, I like the way the circular background frames the statue but without the ledge showing it might make it seem a little more fantasy than reality. I'm interested in paper negatives and want to try that process sometime; looking at your site and Facebook page it looks like you've created some wonderfully done photographs.

I´m working on a post about my paper negative work which I will post on my blog.
I find it very fun to use and could still get very nice quality.
It's very cheap and very easy to develop but there are some drawbacks as wall.

Many thanks for the nice feedback!

It is s narrow view from someone who spends a lot of time not only taking, but studying pictures of statues. Something I've done for nearly ten years.

It's a narrow view from someone whose favorite pictures ... out of the couple dozen I've taken that I think ate my tops... Are pictures of Angel statues.

I'm not saying you can't take pictures of statues that won't be appreciated. .. I'm not saying you can't take pictures of statues that won't have some photographic merit. Your picture here alone proves its possible. What I'm saying is that in the broad scope of pictures in the world that people regard as exceptional that I you just won't find many of statues. To be honest I think I've seen one.

And again. .. I love them.

Concord%20Cemetary%20Angels%20-%20082.jpg

Salem%20Day%20-%20St%20Mary's%20Cemetary%20-%20026%20bw.jpg

Salem%20Day%20-%20St%20Mary's%20Cemetary%20-%20052.jpg

It is s narrow view from someone who spends a lot of time not only taking, but studying pictures of statues. Something I've done for nearly ten years.

It's a narrow view from someone whose favorite pictures ... out of the couple dozen I've taken that I think ate my tops... Are pictures of Angel statues.

I'm not saying you can't take pictures of statues that won't be appreciated. .. I'm not saying you can't take pictures of statues that won't have some photographic merit. Your picture here alone proves its possible. What I'm saying is that in the broad scope of pictures in the world that people regard as exceptional that I you just won't find many of statues. To be honest I think I've seen one.

And again. .. I love them.

These remind me of the weeping angels in Dr Who.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back