Trouble Focusing?

leopardforest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got a Canon XTi with a EF 50mm f/1.8 AF lens and I prefer to use manual focusing. I am just having problems getting pictures with crisp and clear focus. I started photography with a film camera that had a split screen for focusing and I never had a problem getting the subject in focus with that camera. Is there a better to focus with my digital?

Well, the XTi (and many DSLR cameras) have rather small view finders...which can make it harder to focus. The view screens are not as helpful as split screens, that's for sure.

Why not use the Autofocus?...it may not be your preference...but if it gives you better results, you can adjust to using it more often.

There may be other reasons why you are not getting "pictures with crisp and clear focus". Can you show us some examples (with EXIF data)?

I do use auto focus, but it does not always focus on what I want. It works well for moving subjects because of the speed of the focusing. The biggest problem I have found is in poor lighting when the subject is about 10 ft away I have trouble telling when the subject is in focus. The AF on my lens can't focus very well in poor light. Also part of the problem is that I am using such a large aperture and the my depth of field is so shallow. Does Canon (or anyone else) make any interchangeable focusing screens for the XTi?

Well, the XTi (and many DSLR cameras) have rather small view finders...which can make it harder to focus. The view screens are not as helpful as split screens, that's for sure.

Why not use the Autofocus?...it may not be your preference...but if it gives you better results, you can adjust to using it more often.

There may be other reasons why you are not getting "pictures with crisp and clear focus". Can you show us some examples (with EXIF data)?

Oh and what is the EXIF data and how would I include it in a post?

I do use auto focus, but it does not always focus on what I want.
What is your method for using AF? Personally, even though my camera has 7 or 9 AF points...I only use the centre one. I focus on what I want and then recompose the shot and snap the exposure. I also change Custom Function #4 to have AF activated by the * button. I'm not sure if that is an option on your camera or not...but it might be something to consider.

Does Canon (or anyone else) make any interchangeable focusing screens for the XTi?
Check this out

Oh and what is the EXIF data and how would I include it in a post?
Open a photo with Photoshop (or your Canon software). The EXIF data is the list of all the shooting information...the focal length, aperture, shutter speed, ISO...etc. To include it, just copy and paste it into a post. It might show, for example, that your shutter speed was too slow...which would mean that the problem is a lack of light...rather than your focusing.

What is your method for using AF? Personally, even though my camera has 7 or 9 AF points...I only use the centre one. I focus on what I want and then recompose the shot and snap the exposure. I also change Custom Function #4 to have AF activated by the * button. I'm not sure if that is an option on your camera or not...but it might be something to consider.

Check this out

I also use the just center AF point when using the AF. I not sure that if my camera has the option, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. For me it is just that I prefer to use manual focus, but I have only had the Camera a few weeks and maybe I will grow to like AF.

I haven't...but some other people here have...and they liked it.

Try some searches...I'm sure there are other brands that sell replacement screens for that camera...even if Canon says that it's not a replaceable piece.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back