Trouble with Canon Digital and Flash

Todd Krueger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Canon Digital Rebel with a Canon 420 EX Speedlite. When I take an inside picture with the Speedlite on in the Auto mode(or any mode for that matter) the picture comes out about 95% dark, I can faintly make out the image but barely. When I remove the Speedlite and use the little built in flash then the photo comes out just fine. I called Canon and they seem to think the Flash may be bad and that I would need to send it in. I restored all factory defaults and have the same results. My wife and I just had a new baby 1 week ago and the picture quality with the little built in flash sucks and its killing me to not get good pictures of her as I did with my son. I've had this set up for about 5 years and have had flawless use of it. Thanks alot,,, I appreciate it!

Is the flash firing?
sorry but i just LOL'd.

if its coming out dark it seems like the flash isnt syncing with the camera when the shutter button is pressed. it may be firing too late or too early.

It was a very legit question.

Yes, Canon themselves asked the same question. Yes it is firing but I don't know if it is syncing correct. I went to a "Camera Repair" shop yesterday here in Houston yesterday and all they were interested in was telling me how much it would cost,,,,before I could tell them the whole scenario. My brother is sending me one of his extra flashes, that way I can see if it is my flash or my camera. I'm kind of baffled by it,,,thanks for the questions,,,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back