Trouble with my SD card

les_rokr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Aside from being a complete noobie to photography, I'm having some technical issues as well.

Today I slipped my SD card into the reader to erase some old photos, and I copied the pictures I liked to my computer.

But when I highlighted all the files I wanted to delete, my computer says the disk is "write protected". I figured I must've accidently locked the card, so I took it out only to notice that it wasn't locked.

I put it back in, and my computer still says the same thing.

I right clicked on the drive the card was in to browse through properties to see if there was anything I accidently enabled. I found nothing.

Now I can't erase anything off of my only SD card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

-Alex

If you have copied the shots you want to keep, try deleting or formating the card in the camera.

If this doesn't work, there are free programs to rescue SD cards on the internet. Just google rescue SD card.

Good luck.

did you by chance protect the images in the camera? that may cause the issue youre having.

also, right clicking the drive itself wont tell you if the images themselves are write protected. you have to click the pics themselves. then youll be able to see at the bottom of the properties page if they are write protected (read only) or not.

if you have an SD card with a physical lock, make sure youre not inadvertantly activating it when you push the card in.

if all that fails, you can try to reformat the card either in the camera, or in the drive.

good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Ah, I had already tried reformatting the card in the drive, but not in camera. My computer wouldn't let me format it in the drive, but it worked just fine in the camera.

Thanks!

Ah, I had already tried reformatting the card in the drive, but not in camera. My computer wouldn't let me format it in the drive, but it worked just fine in the camera.

Thanks!

im glad you got it worked out. i know id be lost if i didnt have a way to save new shots on the only card i have for my camera.

Most reactions

Back