Troubles importing raw files to Lightroom

TreeofLifeStairs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
treeoflifestairs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had the NEX-7 and was using Lightroom 5.7 to import and process my .ARW raw files. When I upgraded to the a7ii it never occurred to me that there would be any problem with importing them the same way as before. They use the same extension, but apparently they are different. I've read that I can update my version of Lightroom to 5.7.1 and be able to import them like before, but can't seem to figure out how to do this. The internal update button in Lightroom says everything is up to date, and when I search on Adobe for the update it directs me to the cloud version. Is there any way that you guys are aware of to get the 5.7.1 version or am I stuck having to buy the subscription? I use many of their products (Lightroom, Photoshop, Premier, AI), but not nearly often enough to warrant the monthly expense to have use of them.

You can download the version here:
Download Photoshop Lightroom
If your copy is legal there should not be a problem with installing it.

I saw that link, but was expecting that it was for LR 5.0 since it says download LR5. Typically the software company will have a download for their full product and then downloads for each update. I had 5.7 and just needed the update to 5.7.1. Their chat support is really bad too. I was talking with them for over 1/2 an hour and they never gave me that link. They did reference it and said it was the link for LR5, but never explained that it would actually be 5.7.1.

Ok, rant over.

If you use the free adobe DNG converter or you could convert the raw files today.DNG, and in that way get them to work with your current version of light room. Of course it would be preferable to have the most up-to-date version of light room. Please excuse the speech to text typos.

Yeah, I was hoping to not have to go that route since it's just an extra step. My next issue was that I could import the files but found out that because they were shot as an uncompressed raw format, I would not be able to process them. That functionality is only included in camera raw 8.7 and above which is not available for LR 5.7.1 :(. I can still edit if I shoot compressed raw though, and from what I've read, Sony's compression algorithm is quite good. I think that's what I'll do for now.

Was the reason I moved to CC. Could not read my d7200 files iirc.

I'm not sure about that Keith. PS could develop D850 Raw files before LR could, if they had the same RAW converter they both would have been able to do it.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw
Note: LR's Develop module is Adobe Camera Raw.

The link shows that my camera (Sony a7II) is supported with acr 8.7.1 which I now have, and works with lr5.3 (I have 5.7.1). I am able to use the develop module on compressed raw files but not uncompressed.

I also just tried opening an uncompressed raw file in ps with no luck. I’ll have to do some looking into this next.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

Back