True or False Part II

Actor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
  • If going hybrid, i.e., shooting film and then scanning, you will get better results if you shoot reversal instead of negatives because you don't have to invert. I found this idea in a book.
  • Cameras that read DX codes will default to ASA 100 if loaded with a cartridge that has no DX coding.
  • The Promaster 2500PK and the Vivitar V3800N are the same camera.
  • Fuji has ceased production of sheet film.

[*]Cameras that read DX codes will default to ASA 100 if loaded with a cartridge that has no DX coding.

Not mine (Canon 10s).

I can't remember what it defaults to...whatever you had loaded last I think.

Doesn't matter though, it's easy to change. Just a roll of the wheel.

If going hybrid, i.e., shooting film and then scanning, you will get better results if you shoot reversal instead of negatives because you don't have to invert. I found this idea in a book.

Perhaps "true" that you found it in a book. Definitely "false" that any possible benifits of scanning slides verses negs it the result of having to invert the scanned image. Also, it was likely "true" that the book's author had more problems scanning color negs with the hardware and software available to him long ago and far away when the info for the book was collected.

Many years ago, going "hybrid" in color worked better with slide film than it did with negative film because of limitations in the scanning hardware and software. Slides have a shorter dynamic range than negatives. Scanners with shorter dynamic ranges could capture all, or almost all, of the detail on slides but would fail to capture all of the detail on a negative. With better scanners (Dmax => 4.0) this issue doesn't really exist.

Also, today's scanning software handles the various orange mask characteristics much better and early software. Every color neg film is slightly different and the software must adapt automatically or the user has more work getting proper color. You will always have a very hard time when you scan negs as positives, getting a negative scan, and inverting after the fact. There has been no correction for the mask and thus you have to work a good bit to get decent color.

Cameras that read DX codes will default to ASA 100 if loaded with a cartridge that has no DX coding.

Many do, but this is probably not a universal default. This was the original convention and may have been part of the original DX specification. When DX was introduced ISO 100 was far and away the single most common ISO in use so defaulting to 100 made sense. Films have changed and some camera manufacturers may well have chosen different defaults.

The Promaster 2500PK and the Vivitar V3800N are the same camera.

I don't know, but neither brand ever made cameras. Both buy their products and have them custom branded. Sometimes such "brands" buy the same basic model as another "brand". With mechanical cameras they would often choose slightly different features; omitting or adding a self timer, pc terminal, hot shoe, ... .

• If going hybrid, i.e., shooting film and then scanning, you will get better results if you shoot reversal instead of negatives because you don't have to invert. I found this idea in a book.

I agree. Not only that, but you will get better results with reversal film period.

• Cameras that read DX codes will default to ASA 100 if loaded with a cartridge that has no DX coding.

Didn't know that.

• The Promaster 2500PK and the Vivitar V3800N are the same camera.

Huh!?

• Fuji has ceased production of sheet film.

Two years ago I heard that Fuji discontinued Velvia 50, but I can still find ample on the market. But if that were really the case, it would defeat their corporate beliefs.

• If going hybrid, i.e., shooting film and then scanning, you will get better results if you shoot reversal instead of negatives because you don't have to invert. I found this idea in a book

I'll say false. If there is any difference, it is because the reversal film has a better grain structure, or something characteristic to the film or scanner. Bits are bits, and computer logic can invert them uniformly. If you keep inverting a color, the computer isn't going to give a different resulting color every time.

Most reactions

Back